William F. Lynch, Ph.D.
3401 Market St.
M.S., Learning Technologies
M.S., Higher Education
Ph.D., University of Maryland
M.A., University of Iowa
B.A., University of North Carolina—Charlotte
- Dean & Professor, School of Education, Drexel University (2009-present)
- Director & Professor, School of Education (2004-09)
- Vice President for Operations, GWSolutions: An Enterprise of the George Washington University (2003)
- Vice President for Product Development and Delivery, GWSolutions (2001-03)
- Director, Professional & Executive Programs and Customized Learning, GW Center for Professional Development (2001-03)
- Founding Executive Director, Center for Distance and Mediated Learning, The George Washington University (1998-2001)
- Director, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, The George Washington University (1999-2000)
- Associate Professor, Educational Leadership, The George Washington University (1990-2004)
- Founding Director, master’s in Educational Technology Leadership, The George Washington University (1989-99)
- Director, Distance Learning Development, Graduate School of Education and Human Development, The George Washington University (1996-98)
- Director, Educational Computing Laboratory, The George Washington University (1987-93)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Educational Leadership, The George Washington University (1987-90)
- Assistant Professor, Education Department, Trinity College, Washington, D.C. (1984-87)
- Founding Program Coordinator, Computers in Education and Training master’s program, (1984-87)
- Director, Educational Computing Lab, Trinity College (1984-86)
- Graduate Assistant, Department of Education Policy, Planning, and Administration, University Of Maryland, College Park (1981-84)
- Social Studies Teacher, Lancaster City Public Schools, S.C. (1979-81)
- Social Studies Teacher, Iowa City Public Schools (1976-79)
- “Student Perspective: Developing Best Practices to Increase Online Student Success for Students with Disabilities,” Betts, K., Lynch, W. Giering, J., Cohen, A., Veit, D., Alphin, H., Allen, D. & Broadus, C. 16th Sloan-C International Conference on Asynchronous Learning Networks, Orlando, FL, November 2011.
- “High Touch: Strategies for Bringing the Campus to Online & Blended Students,” Betts, K., & Lynch, W. Digital Innovation Group, University System of Georgia, October 2011
- EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, presented with Apple Computer re “Drexel University’s School of Education iPods in Education” initiative, Orlando, FL, October 2005.
- “E-Learning Design and Evaluation Strategies “ Roundtable discussion at COSN K-12 Conference & International Symposium, Arlington, VA, March, 2004
- “GWSolutions,” Panel Presentation, New Program Directions for Continuing Education, UCEA Annual Conference, Toronto, CA, 2002.
- “Customizing CRM at GW’s Center for Professional Development,” New Program Directions for Continuing Education, UCEA Annual Conference, Toronto, CA, 2002.
- Chair, Board of Directors, Collegiate Consortium (2010-present)
- Member/Director, Board of Directors, Collegiate Consortium (2005-present)
- Member/Director, Board of Directors, Global University Alliance (1999-2002)
- 2011 Team Leader and Drexel (Goodwin College) recipient of “2011 Blackboard Collaborate™ Hall of Fame for Excellence in Collaboration Award”
- 2011 NASPA Grand Bronze Medal Recipient & Gold Award Recipient, on behalf of Drexel (Goodwin College) Category of Off-Campus, Commuter, Non-traditional, Graduate, Professional, and Related Programs
- 2010 Sloan Consortium, Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education (based on MSHE program and shared with other Drexel online programs)
- 2008 United States Distance Learning Awards (USDLA) International Awards, Best Practices Awards for Distance Learning Programming, Bronze Recipient, Drexel University's School of Education, Master of Science in Higher Education
- 1999 Nominee, University of Maryland, College Of Education's Outstanding Alumni Award
- 1998 “Most Outstanding Achievement in Distance Learning” award by the United States Distance Learning Association.
- 1994 IDLCON Annual Partnership Award for partnerships between Education and Industry
- 1991 Christopher Columbus Consortium Award from Apple Computer
- 1986 Judith Ruchkin Annual Award for Outstanding Research in Education presented by the Maryland Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- 1984 Membership in "Who's Who Among American College Students"
- 1984 Membership in Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Educational Technology: Leadership Perspectives, Kearsley, G. & Lynch, W. (eds.), Educational Technology Press, 1994.
Peer-Reviewed Published Articles
- “Online education: Meeting educational and workforce needs through flexible and quality degree programs,” Betts, K, & Lynch, W., iJournal 24(72). California Community Colleges. http://www.ijournalccc.com/articles/node/72, 2010.
- "Web-based Distance Education: Faculty Recruitment and Training," Lynch, W. & Corry, M., WebNet 99 Proceedings, Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, 1999.
- "Web Based Instruction: Intellectual Property, Compensation, and Redefining Faculty Work," Lynch, W. & Corry, M., WebNet 99 Proceedings, Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, 1999.
- "Analyzing a Successful Web-based Asynchronous Distance Learning Network," Lynch, W. & Corry, M., WebNet 99 Proceedings, Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, 1999.
- "Faculty Recruitment, Training, and Compensation for Distance Education," Lynch, W. & Corry, M., Technology and Teacher Education Annual 1998, 1998, Charlottesville, VA.
- "Marketing for Distance Education: A Five Stage Plan," Corry, M. & Lynch. W., Technology and Teacher Education Annual 1998 , 1998, Charlottesville, VA.
- "Communications technology & video production: An evolutionary study of their interactive effects on a distance learning program," Lynch, W., Proceedings of ED-MEDIA/ED-TELECOM 98, 10th World Conference on Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia &World Conference on Educational Telecommunications, 1998, Charlottesville, VA.
- "Educational Technology Leadership: A Program and a Perspective," Lynch, W. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Technology and Education, Oslo, Norway, August, 1997
- "Structural Issues in Distance Education," Kearsley, G. & Lynch, W., Journal of Education for Business, Vol 71, No. 4, March/April 1996.
- "Technology Haves and Have Nots," MacDonald, J., Lynch, W. & Kearsley, G., The American School Board Journal, July, 1996.
- "Preparing Educational Technology Leaders: A Formula That Works," Kearsley, G. & Lynch, W. Technology and Teacher Education Annual, 1994, pp. 242-245.
- "Educational Leadership in the Age of Technology: The New Skills," Kearsley, G. & Lynch, W. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 1993.