Vera J. Lee, Ed.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor
ESL Specialist Program
Ed.D., M.S.Ed., University of Pennsylvania
B.A., Boston University
Areas of Expertise:
- Literacy Instruction K-12
- Reading/Writing Theories
- Multicultural Education
- English Language Learners
- Practitioner Research in online courses to explore inservice/preservice teachers’ emerging understandings about issues of diversity.
- Research on teachers of color in K-12 settings.
- Professional development and identity formation of inservice teachers in Drexel’s ESL certification program.
- Drexel University, School of Education (2011-present)
Assistant Clinical Professor, Literacy Studies
- Drexel University, School of Education (2010-11)
Instructor, Literacy Studies
- Drexel University, College of Arts & Sciences (2007-10)
Adjunct Instructor, English and Philosophy
- Drexel University, School of Education (2008-10)
- Drexel University, English Language Center
Instructor (International Leaders in Education Program Issues in Secondary Education 2007, International Teaching Assistants Program 2008, Fulbright Pre-Academic Preparation Program Research and Writing Course 2009 & 2010)
- University of Pennsylvania (2006)
Teaching Assistant (ED 629 Teaching English/Language and Literacy in Middle and Secondary Schools)
- Haddonfield Memorial High School (2001-03)
- Downingtown Middle School (1996-2001)
Language Arts Teacher
- PA Instructional II Language Arts/English 7-12
- NJ Language Arts/ English 7-12
- MA English 7-12
- Coursework completed for PA Reading Specialist Certification
- Lee, V. (2013). Overcoming socialization obstacles faced by new teachers: Challenges that "come with" being a new teacher of color. Teachers of Color Magazine, Spring, 46-47. (invited article)
- Grdina, M., Lee, V., Lyttle, C., Lewis-Grant, K. (2013, May 30-June 2). Effective and Critical Use of Discussion Boards: Creating an Online Community of Learning (accepted). Presentation at the Lilly Conferences on College and University Teaching, Bethesda, MD.
- Lee, V. & Hoekje, B. (in press) "The role of an online discussion board in fostering a critical collaborative learning community in an ESL specialist credential program." In J. Nagle (Ed.), English Learner Instruction through Collaboration and Inquiry in Teacher Education. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Lee, V. J. (2013). Teachers of Color: Creating and recreating identities in suburban schools. The Qualitative Report, 18(Art 16), 1-16.
- Lee, V. (2012). Uncovering the Professional Lives of Suburban Teachers of Color. Multicultural Education, 19(3), pp. 39-43.
- Lee, V., Grdina, M., Lewis, K., & Lyttle, C. (2012, November 30). Constructing New Knowledge: Teaching and Learning about Issues of Diversity in Online Courses. Panel Presentation at the 22nd Annual International Conference National Association for Multicultural Education, Philadelphia, PA.
- Grant, A., Neumann, D. DeCarlo, M. J., & Lee, V. (2012, June 8). “Open Forum” Urban Change: Navigating Complex Challenges to Build an Effective University-School Partnership. Panel Presentation at the Urban Systems Conference: Urban Change through Education, Health, and Environment, Newark, NJ.
- Lee, V., Lewis, K., Lyttle, C., & Grdina, M. (2012, February 25). Rethinking Learning: Teacher Educators Reflect on Teaching Diversity Online. Practitioner Inquiry Group Session at the 33rd Annual Ethnography in Education Research Forum, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lee, V., Lewis, K., Lyttle, C., & Grdina, M. (2011, November 5). Looking in the Mirror: Teacher Educators Reflections on the Multicultural Countenance of Online Courses. Panel Presentation at the 21st Annual International Conference National Association for Multicultural Education, Chicago, IL.
- Wu, V. (2011). The Arizona sheltered English immersion model: A teaching framework that lacks ethics or care for ELLs. The 33rd. Philadelphia, PA: Drexel Publishing Group.
- Lee, V. (2011, August 5-9). Teachers of Color in Suburban Schools: Revealing What We Need to Know. Paper presented at The Association of Teacher Educators 2011 Summer Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lee, V. (2011, March 26). Uncovering What’s Hidden Beneath: How Teachers of Color are Socialized into Predominantly European American High Schools. Paper presented at the 13th Annual Conference PA National Association for Multicultural Education, Kutztown, PA.
- Lee, V. (2011, February 25). Teachers of Color in Suburban Schools: Consciously Constructing In-School Identities. Paper presented at the 32nd Annual Ethnography in Education Research Forum, Philadelphia, PA.