Mary Jo Grdina, Ph.D.
Associate Clinical Professor
Department Chair for Teaching, Learning & Curriculum Programs
3401 Market St.
M.S., Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum
B.S., Secondary Education
Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University
M.S., Purdue University
B.S., Notre Dame College of Ohio
Areas of Expertise:
- Chemistry research
- Teaching science
- High school teaching
- School district supervisory and curriculum work
- Science Education
- Preparation and Professional Development of Science Educators
- Informal Science Education
- Physics in Philadelphia
- Diversity Discourse in On-Line Courses
- Drexel University, Goodwin College of Professional Studies, School of Education
Associate Clinical Professor (2003-present)
- Springside Chestnut Hill Academy
Kleckner Scientist in Residence (2012)
- Montclair Public Schools (Montclair, NJ)
Supervisor, Math & Science (2002-03)
- Kinnelon Public Schools (Kinnelon, NJ)
Lead Teacher, Math/Science & Technology (1999-2002)
- Kinnelon Public Schools
Teacher, Chemistry and Physics (1986-1999)
- Woodbury High School (NJ)
Teacher, Chemistry and Physics (1983-86)
- Crossroads School for the Performing Arts and Sciences (Santa Monica, CA)
Teacher, Chemistry and Physics (1982)
- University of Southern California, Hydrocarbon Research Institute
Postdoctoral Research Assistant (1980-81)
- Oberlin College
Visiting Assistant Professor, Chemistry
- Notre Dame College
Assistant Professor, Chemistry (1974-79)
- Rethinking Learning: Teacher Educators Reflect on Teaching Diversity Online. 33rd Annual Ethnography in Education Research Forum, Feb. 2012.
- Looking in the Mirror: Instructors’ Reflections on the Multicultural Countenance of Online Courses. 21st Annual International NAME Conference, Nov. 2011.
- Physics at the Art Museum. Philadelphia Museum of Art Educator Series, April 2011.
- Physics at the Art Museum; Physics at Franklin Square Playground. Philadelphia Science Festival Presentations, April 2011.
- The Creative Educator. Keynote Address for the Pennsylvania Coalition of Public Charter Schools, Oct. 2010.
- Grdina, M.J. (2009, November). The Awesome Task of Evaluation: Who Holds the Responsibility? Educational Leadership, 67(3).
- “Site Specificity in the Singlet Oxygen/Trisubstituted Olefin Reaction,” with L.M. Stephenson and M. Orfanopoulos, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 101, 275 (1979).
- “A Convenient Synthetic Sequence for the Stereoselective Deuterium Labeling of Olefins in the Allylic Position,” with L.M. Stephenson and M. Orfanopoulos, J. Org. Chem. 44, 2936 (1979).
- “Stereochemical Dependence of Isotope Effects in the Singlet Oxygen - Olefin Reaction,”with L. M. Stephenson and M. Orfanopoulos, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 101, 3111 (1979)
- “Concerning Zwitterionic Perepoxides or Diradical Intermediates in the Singlet Oxygen - Olefin Ene Reaction,” with L. M. Stephenson and M. Orfanopoulos, Tetrahedron Letters, 4351 (1979).
- “The Mechanism of the Ene Reaction Between Singlet Oxygen and Olefins,” with L. M. Stephenson and M. Orfanopoulos, Accts. Chem. Res. 13, 419 (1980)
- “Onium Ylide Chemistry. 1. Bifunctional Acid” Base Catalyzed Conversion of Heterosubstituted Methanes into Ethylene and Derived Hydrocarbons. The Onium Ylide Mechanism of the C1 - C2 Conversion,” with George Olah, et. al., J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 106, 2143 (1984).