Campus Master Plan
Drexel University's 2007 Master Plan for the University City Main Campus follows a decade in which each year a building was constructed or an existing one was fully renovated; that brought in signature architects including Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, Philip Johnson Alan Ritchie Architects, Michael Graves and Associates, and Hargreaves Associates; and emphasized the role of a resurgent Philadelphia as a "living laboratory" for Drexel's students.
The University's neighborhood too is enjoying an impressive rebirth, with many institutions undergoing significant expansion. Sitting amidst this tremendous growth, Drexel is well positioned to capitalize on opportunities created by increased pedestrian traffic, an influx of commercial operations, and new potential for scientific collaboration.
Having been an excellent steward of its land resources, $500 million was invested into the 1997 and 2002 master plans to reinforce the campus' urban fabric and offer Drexel's growing number of students more opportunities to live on campus. Today $232 million has been allocated for construction already in progress and scheduled for completion in 2011, and an estimated $300 million will be allocated for projected construction projects through 2016.
Drexel now enjoys a more commanding presence in its West Philadelphia neighborhood. Its new, modern aesthetic buildings echo the University's high-technology mission. With their glass facades, these buildings enable the public to witness Drexel's mission in action, while their brick accents tie them to existing buildings from Drexel's rich architectural past.
What began with a single building constructed in 1891 for Drexel Institute of Science, Art and Industry, has since thrived into a 74-acre University City Main Campus (and four auxilliary campuses) that has blossomed into a state-of-the-art academic, residential and commercial destination fully integrated into the fabric of its surrounding neighborhood and Philadelphia.