Drexel International Gateway provides qualified international students with a foundation year of quality academic and English language courses, plus Intercultural Community Bridge activities.
Who can enter the International Gateway?
1. Be academically qualifed for admission to Drexel University.
- We do not pre-screen or offer evaluations of academic qualifications without a complete application.
- Applicants must have graduated from high school in 2013 or later.
- International Gateway is not designed for students who have attended a college, university, graduate or professional school. These students are only eligible to apply for Transfer Admission to Drexel University. Note: International Gateway applicants who fail to disclose university or other post-secondary study can be dismissed from the program and/or denied admission to Drexel University.
2. Have standardized English proficiency test scores in the following range:
- TOEFL score from 53 to 73
- IELTS score from 5.0 to 5.5
These are the minimum standards for consideration but do not guarantee admission.
To successfully complete the International Gateway program, students must complete the following requirements:
- Attend a minimum of three quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring) and a maximum of four quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer)
- Show steady progress in ELC and Drexel courses
For English Language Center courses, students must:
- Achieve minimum final grades of 75% in all courses
- Complete all requirements for a certificate each term
- Satisfy attendance requirements to maintain visa status as listed in syllabi and not be on attendance warning two consecutive quarters
For Drexel courses, students must
- Achieve a minimum 2.0 in each course.
- Achieve overall GPA of 2.5 in Drexel University courses
- Show steady progress in standardized test scores
Minimum test scores by term:
- Maintain Community Bridge attendance
- Participate in monthly activities
- Maintain communication with a Community Bridge "family" and coordinator and not miss more than two family activities per Gateway year
- Submit reflection journals
If any of the criteria above are not met, students will be allowed ONE probationary quarter. Students not meeting progression criteria in a second subsequent quarter may be advised out of the program.
Program exit and matriculation requirements for Drexel University
Reach standardized test scores as required by Drexel Admissions:
Complete and submit paper application to Gateway advisor
Obtain letter of recommendation from English Language Center Director or Associate Director
Complete all financial, and matriculation documents
Students who are advised out of the International Gateway program or who are not able to meet matriculation requirements for Drexel University will be given counseling and advising regarding other undergraduate degree options in Philadelphia. They can continue their studies at Drexel English Language Center if they are otherwise in good standing and then transfer to another institution for their undergraduate studies.
The English Language Center has articulation agreements with several institutions that will accept students without TOEFL or IELTS scores who complete the intensive English program (through Level 6). A list of options is available upon request. Students may also be advised into the Drexel University Blue-Gold Connection at the Community College of Philadelphia.