Discover is the gateway for undergraduate students to engage in incredible opportunities in creative research projects across the disciplines of science, humanities, and the arts. Discover is an online database of open research positions available to undergraduate students. Faculty members are able to post open positions, and all undergraduate students are able to access this information, peruse the job postings, and apply for positions.
Logging into Discover
To enter the Discover website, use the buttons below:
Student Faculty/Advisor Administrator
Any questions or issues with entering the website can be sent to email@example.com.
*You will have to use your DrexelOne username and password to log into the Discover website.
Requesting a Meeting through Discover
You can request a meeting for a STAR one-on-one or a research consultation with OUR staff through the Discover website. Instructions on how to do so are located here. If you cannot view the calendar/appointments feature in Discover, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to set up a Discover profile
Before you can access any of the research postings available on Discover, you will be required to set up your personal profile in Discover. Click on “Profile” in the top menu bar to access your personal and academic profiles.
The information already available in your academic and personal profiles has been imported from your student record. While you will have the ability to edit your personal profile, you will not have the ability to edit your academic profile. If any of the information is incorrect in your academic profile, please contact email@example.com to resolve the issue.
Once in your profile, you can click “Edit” at the top of your personal profile to update and add requisite information. You will be required to fill in the following:
- Status: This indicates whether or not you are seeking a research opportunity and will be a signal to faculty members about your interest in currently finding a research position.
- Current address: This will be your on-campus address.
Once you have filled in this information, click on “Save changes” to update your profile – and then you’ll be set to peruse and apply for research positions through Discover!
How to search for a research position
When you are logged into Discover, there are a number of ways to search for open research positions. You can:
- Browse through postings. Click on “Research Projects/Creative Works” in the top menu bar. Once there, you can scroll through all available postings, and you can choose to sort the full listing by date posted, position title, department, or application deadline.
- Use the search or advanced search options. If you have a specific idea of what kind of research position you are looking for (subject area, discipline) or of which faculty member(s) you would like to work with, you can narrow down the listing by including that information in the search function at the top of the “Research Projects/Creative Works” page. Please note: When you include information in the “Keyword” field, it does not search the names of faculty members; it only searches job title, job ID #, job description, and department name. The advanced search option provides just that: even more specific criteria by which you can narrow down your search options.
- Browse through postings available by department. If you know what departments you would be interested in working with but are not sure of the precise research projects available, you should search for job postings by department. Click on “Departments” in the top menu bar and search for the specific department you are looking for. Clicking on the name of the department will bring you to a department profile, which will include a description of the department and any available job postings associated with that department.
How to apply for a research position
Once you’ve identified a research position you are interested in, you are ready to apply! For those positions for which you are eligible, you will see a large “Apply” button next to the full job description:
Discover Advice: If you do not see this button, this means that you are not eligible for the position. We suggest that you contact the faculty member directly to request information about eligibility requirements and your appropriateness for the position.
Clicking on the “Apply” button will allow you to submit an application for that posting. Some faculty members will require that you include a cover letter, a resume, and/or other pertinent documents (e.g., writing sample); however, some faculty members will not require any of these supplemental documents. For every position, however, you will have the opportunity to include a resume.
Discover Advice: We suggest including a resume with every application you submit through Discover, whether or not it is required. Not including a resume or other supplemental documents means that the faculty member will only see your personal and academic profiles as they appear on Discover.
Once you have attached all documents, click “Submit” to send your application along.