When do classes start and end?
Drexel University adheres to a quarter schedule. There are four (4) ten-week quarters in an academic year:
- Fall: Late September through mid-December
- Winter: Early January through late March
- Spring: Early April through mid-June
- Summer: Late June through early September
Each term is ten (10) weeks in length, with finals administered during the eleventh (11th) week. High School Scholars will need to confirm the class schedule with their instructors.
A full academic calendar is available online: http://www.drexel.edu/provost/calendars/academic-calendars/
How do I find and choose a course?
Consult the Term Master Schedule to view classes available by term and through each College and Department.
High School Scholars may choose courses being offered by the following Colleges:
- The College of Arts and Sciences
- LeBow College of Business
Look for introductory courses (usually indicated by the course number – 100 or 101). Also check to make sure the course meets the following conditions:
- The course does not have any prerequisites or restrictions.
- The course has available seats. (If seats are not available, classes will be listed as “closed.”)
Please Note: High School Scholars may not choose online classes, as students must attend classes on Drexel’s University City campus.
Please contact the High School Scholars Program staff with any questions about your eligibility for specific courses or sections.
Can I take a course listed under a different college or school?
No. High School Scholars are only eligible to take classes from the colleges listed above (Arts and Sciences, Business, and Goodwin).
How many courses can I take?
High School Scholars are permitted to take one (1) course per term and up to four (4) courses per academic year.
Please Note: High school seniors may not register for courses during the summer following their graduation from high school, unless they will enter Drexel University in the fall as part of the incoming freshman class.
How do I register for a course?
AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO THE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARS PROGRAM:
Submit your top three (3) course choices to the High School Scholars Program staff. The deadlines for these course selections are as follows:
You will then be notified of the course you have been placed in, according to your preferences and class availability.
Can students take placement tests to bypass courses?
The only department that allows High School Scholars to take placement exams to bypass pre-requisites is the Modern Languages department. Otherwise, High School Scholars are not permitted to take placement tests or bypass pre-requisites that they may have already completed outside of Drexel.
For foreign language courses, High School Scholars may take foreign language placement tests. Visit the following website for more information on the foreign language placement test.
Can credit from advanced placement (AP) classes be used to fulfill prerequisites for upper level courses?
No. High School Scholars are not permitted to use AP credits or credits from other universities to fulfill prerequisites. High School Scholars can only use successfully completed Drexel courses to fulfill prerequisites for other courses.
How do I drop or withdraw from a course?
Drops must be completed by the end of Week 2 in a given term (and will not appear on your Drexel University transcript). Withdrawals must be completed before the end of Week 7 in a given term (and will result in a permanent “W” on your Drexel University transcript).
Complete all of the following steps to drop or withdraw from a course:
- Contact the High School Scholars Program staff to indicate that you are preparing to drop or withdraw from your current class.
- Print and complete the Drexel Add/Drop/Withdrawal Form.
- Obtain the appropriate signatures. The form will need to be signed by the High School Scholar and the instructor of the course being dropped or withdrawn from; obtaining these signatures is the responsibility of the High School Scholar.
- Deliver a signed copy of the form to the High School Scholars Program in person (3019 MacAlister Hall, 33rd and Chestnut sts.)
- Please Note: No drop/withdrawal forms will be accepted after 12:00 noon on the Thursday of
Week 2/Week 7 in any given term.
- If you withdraw from a course, you will need to wait two (2) terms before you are permitted to register again for another course through the High School Scholars Program.
- Two course withdrawals will result in dismissal from the program.
How do I obtain my grades and/or transcript?
To obtain an unofficial transcript:
- Go to the DrexelOne website.
- Use your Drexel username and password to log into your student information page.
To obtain an official transcript, follow directions provided online by the Office of the University Registrar.