For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.


Eligible Majors

All majors at Drexel can study abroad. Students should still be aware that some programs are available to all majors, while others are designed for specific majors only. Some programs also have foreign language pre-requisites. Before choosing a specific program, students should think about how the courses offered abroad will enhance their coursework and affect their anticipated graduation date. 

Course Approval

Course approvals and academic scheduling are critical for a successful study abroad experience. We see our academic advisors as partners and crucial to the application process. Academic departments have sole authority and responsibility for approving study abroad courses for Drexel credit. For any courses that they intend to take overseas, students will individually request course approval to their Academic Advisor using the Academic Pre-approval Form. For exchange programs, the courses may need to be approved by the department head. Every course taken abroad must have a Drexel equivalent. The Study Abroad advisors will work with you to understand this process.

For more information about Course Approvals, please read the Guide to Course Approvals.

Academic Credit, Grades, and Transcript at Drexel

Exchange Programs

When a student enrolls in a Drexel sponsored exchange program, their Drexel transcript reflects Drexel course numbers, titles and credit for the courses taken at the host university. For some programs, the Study Abroad Office maintains a list of courses at the host university that have been approved by Drexel. The lists can be found on the online brochures and are titled "Course Equivalency Spreadsheet". If the student would like to take courses that are not listed, they will need to seek Drexel department approval. For example, if the student intends to take a sociology course abroad for Drexel credit, the Sociology Department Head at Drexel must approve the course and its Drexel equivalency. 

Students are taught and graded by faculty at the host university for all Drexel sponsored exchange programs. In this case, grades are noted as "CR/NCR" on their transcript and will not affect their GPA. In order to receive CR credit students must earn the equivalent of a "C" or above at the host institution. Upon completion of the program, transcripts from the host university are sent directly to the Study Abroad Office. Processing the transcripts may take up to three months upon receipt of the transcript.

Free Standing Programs

For a majority of free standing programs available through Drexel, students must choose from a list of pre-approved courses. These courses have already been approved by Drexel and do not need further departmental approval.

The grades for Drexel free standing programs will be noted on the student's Drexel transcript and will affect their GPA. 

Independent Study Abroad Programs

When a Drexel student participates in a program not sponsored by Drexel, this is considered an Independent Study Abroad. All courses taken abroad will be listed as transfer credit on their Drexel transcript. In this situation, the academic advisor can pre-approve all courses and determine how the transfer credit will be evaluated. Transfer grades will not be reflected on their transcript and will not affect their GPA.