Health Insurance Policy for International Students
We would like to welcome you to our University! Below is information concerning the University health insurance policy. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to visit us in Creese 201 (32nd & Chestnut Streets).
Please note that the information below shows full academic year information. Each term that a student enters the University they are able to enroll in the insurance coverage and premium rates are pro-rated accordingly. You may visit www.aetnastudenthealth.com (type Drexel in the Purple box) to see deadline dates and also premium amounts.
General Information for Undergraduate International Students
All undergraduate international students must purchase the university sponsored plan. This plan meets all of the requirements for students on J-1 Visas, and all recommendations for international students on F-1 Visas. The policy covers students in our local area as well as worldwide. The plan must be purchased immediately upon entrance into our university and must be purchased for the full academic year.
The only plan accepted in lieu of the Drexel Plan will be Embassy Sponsored Coverage. If you have Embassy Sponsored Coverage it is necessary to bring verification of this into our office immediately upon your arrival to the University.
Undergraduate International Students have been default enrolled into the Dragon Plan. The plan's premium from January 1, 2014 through August 31, 2014 is $1,138.00 and has been placed on your student account. If you are interested in the Dragon Preferred Plan please visit the Aetna Website at www.aetnastudenthealth.com to read over the plan details. Then you may contact us so we can change your coverage.
General Information for Graduate International Students
Graduate International students may satisfy the requirement by purchasing the Drexel Student Health Insurance Plan or by submitting an insurance waiver. Graduate international students holding a J-1 Visa must also purchase the university sponsored plan so that federally governed J-1 mandates are met.
Waiver of Health Insurance Requirement fpr Graduate International Students
If you have your own health insurance that meets our minimum requirements you may waive the Drexel coverage. You must waive the coverage before the deadline date of January 30th. Any student who does not comply with the University Health Insurance Policy before January 30th will be default enrolled into the Dragon Plan for the full academic year. Once you have been default enrolled in the plan you will be covered for the full academic year. The premium amount of $1,138 will be placed on your student account.
To waive the Drexel coverage your plan must meet the following requirements:
- Plans must provide coverage for pre-existing conditions immediately upon enrollment;
- Plans must provide a benefit of at least $500,000 per condition;
- Plans must be purchased for the full period for which the student will be enrolled for the coming academic year – not by the month nor semester;
- Annual Plan Deductible of no more than $2500;
- Plan must provide coverage for Mental Health & Substance Abuse;
- Plan must provide medical evacuation and repatriation benefit.
Enrollment into the Drexel Health Insurance
If you would like to read about the plans and enroll in the Drexel Health Insurance please follow the directions below. After you have enrolled the premium amount of $1,138 will be placed your student account. Your health insurance plan will be in effect ffrom January 1, 2014 through August 31, 2014.
Please follow the directions below to enroll/waive the Drexel Student Health Insurance.
- Go to www.aetnastudenthealth.com.
- In the purple box, type ‘Drexel University’ to be directed to our welcome page.
- On the right-hand side, click the ‘Enroll/Waive’ link under your campus heading.
- Select your program from the drop-down menu and then type in your student ID and DOB to enter the system.
- From there, follow the instructions to either enroll into our waive the coverage.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT YOU MUST EITHER WAIVE OR ENROLL BEFORE JANUARY 30, 2014.
ALL GRADUATE STUDENTS MUST EITHER WAIVE OR ENROLL IN THE DREXEL HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY ACADEMIC YEAR.
Plan Comparison Here