Health Insurance Policy for International Students
FALL START 2014
We would like to welcome you to our University! Below is information concerning the University health insurance policy. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to visit us in Creese 201 (32nd & Chestnut Streets).
Please note that the information below shows full academic year information. Each term that a student enters the University they are able to enroll in the insurance coverage and premium rates are pro-rated accordingly. You may visit www.aetnastudenthealth.com (type Drexel in the Purple box) to see deadline dates and also premium amounts.
General Information for Undergraduate International Students
All undergraduate international students must purchase the university sponsored plan. This plan meets all of the requirements for students on J-1 Visas, and all recommendations for international students on F-1 Visas. The policy covers students in our local area as well as worldwide. The plan must be purchased immediately upon entrance into our university and must be purchased for the full academic year.
The only plan accepted in lieu of the Drexel Plan will be Embassy Sponsored Coverage. If you have Embassy Sponsored Coverage it is necessary to bring verification of this into our office immediately upon your arrival to the University.
Undergraduate International Students have been default enrolled into the Dragon Plan. The plan's premium from September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2015 is $1,901.00 and has been placed on your student account. If you are interested in the Dragon Preferred Plan please visit the Aetna Website at www.aetnastudenthealth.com to read over the plan details. Then you may contact us at email@example.com so we can change your coverage.
General Information for Graduate International Students
Graduate International students may satisfy the requirement by purchasing the Drexel Student Health Insurance Plan or by submitting an insurance waiver. Graduate international students holding a J-1 Visa must also purchase the university sponsored plan so that federally governed J-1 mandates are met.
Waiver of Health Insurance Requirement for Graduate International Students
If you have your own health insurance that meets our minimum requirements you may waive the Drexel coverage. You must waive the coverage before the deadline date of September 30, 2014. Any student who does not comply with the University Health Insurance Policy before September 30, 2014 will be default enrolled into the Dragon Plan for the full academic year. The premium amount of $1901.00 will be placed on your student account.
To waive the Drexel coverage your plan must meet the following requirements:
- Plans must provide coverage for both non- emergency and emergency coverage in the Drexel University area;
- Plans must offer a policy year maximum of at least $500,000 in coverage;
- Plans must be provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States – with a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. phone number;
- Plans must provide coverage for pre-existing conditions immediately upon enrollment;
- Plans must be purchased for the full period for which the student will be enrolled for the coming academic year – not by the month or semester;
- Annual Plan Deductible of no more than $2500;
- Plan must provide coverage for Mental Health & Substance Abuse;
- Plan must provide prescription coverage
Enrollment into the Drexel Health Insurance for Graduate Students
If you would like to read about the plans and enroll in the Drexel Health Insurance please follow the directions below. After you have enrolled the premium amount of $1901.00 will be placed your student account. Your health insurance plan will be in effect from September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2015.
Please follow the directions below to enroll/waive the Drexel Student Health Insurance.
- Please go to www.aetnastudenthealth.com
- In the Purple box type Drexel University
- Choose the campus you attend from the left hand side of the page
- Follow the directions to enroll or waive
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT YOU MUST EITHER WAIVE OR ENROLL BEFORE SEPTEMBER 30, 2014.
ALL GRADUATE STUDENTS MUST EITHER WAIVE OR ENROLL IN THE DREXEL HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY ACADEMIC YEAR.
Plan Comparison Here
For assistance, please contact (866) 525-1956 within the United States and 00-1-603-328-1965 outside the United States.
Coverage anywhere – at school, home or traveling, plus you are covered in the summer.
More information regarding Travel Assistance is available at www.aetnastudenthealth.com (type ‘Drexel University’ into the purple search box).
24/7 Worldwide Medical Information & Assistance
- Pre-Trip Plans
- Medical Monitoring
- Medical/Dental/Pharmacy Referral
- Hospital Deposit Arrangements
- Prescription Drug Replacement Assistance
- Dispatch of Physician
- Unlimited Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Unlimited Medical Repatriation
- Visit by Family Member/Friend during hospitalization
- $2,500 Emergency Return Home in the event of death or life threatening illness of a parent or sibling
- 24/7 Emergency Travel Arrangements
- Translation Assistance
- Emergency Travel Funds Assistance
- Lost Luggage and Travel Documents Assistance
- Assistance with Replacement of Credit Card/Travelers Checks
- Medical/Dental/Pharmacy Referral Service
- Hospital Deposit Arrangements
- Dispatch of Physician
- Emergency Medical Record Assistance
- Legal Referral
- Bail Bonds Assistance