Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows F-1 students to engage in paid off-campus employment as long as it is an integral part of their curriculum. This employment includes: alternate work/study internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.
Pre-requisites for CPT:
- Practical training must be an integral part of the curriculum still in progress and must be required by the academic program.
- Student must be receiving course credit throughout the CPT period.
- CPT must fulfill a specific academic objective so if an employment opportunity is solely sought because it is beneficial, relevant, or excellent professional/personal experience does NOT qualify for CPT.
- Student must have been lawfully full-time enrolled to a degree granting program for one full academic year (3 quarters/2 semesters) before applying for CPT.
*Exception for graduate students whose programs require immediate CPT
- Must have an offer of employment from an employer offering work that qualifies as curricular practical training.
- Cannot be on the last term of studies
*Exception for transfers from another U.S. institution
Please click on the following image to view a Curricular Practical Training Online Workshop
- Student must first meet with the Student Career development Center (SCDC) or their Academic Advisor to receive approval for CPT
- Once they have received this approval they will take their paperwork to ISSS to be processed
*Paperwork must be submitted to ISSS BEFORE the CPT start date.
- All paperwork takes up to 72 hours to be processed
- Once processed, the student must pick up their updated I-20 from our office before beginning work.
Types of forms:
- UG/GR CO-OP
- SCDC’s Form signed by co-op adviser
- GR. Internship/Practicum
- Department's formal Letter signed by academic adviser
- PhD Internship
- Department's formal Letter signed by Dr. Lim (Graduate studies office).
Duration of CPT:
- Participation must cover the entire duration of the term and must begin prior to the add/drop deadline, and end the last day of the quarter.
- Extensions beyond the last day of the term (i.e. during break week) are only approved by ISSS on case by case and could NOT roll over at the new term.
- Quarter by quarter authorization is necessary.
*Exception: Co-op (undergraduate/graduate)
How many hours can you work on CPT?
- Can be approved for part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (over 20 hours per week) depending on the type of CPT
If you need to make any changes to CPT :
- Any work interruptions or date changes while on authorized CPT must be reported to ISSS BEFORE the change(s) occur. Email from academic adviser/co-op advisor will be required to implement any CPT employment changes.
CPT length and OPT eligibility:
- Use of full-time CPT for one year (364days) or more eliminates eligibility for Optional Practical Training.
- Use of part-time CPT does not affect eligibility for Optional Practical Training.
- CPT Abroad it does not count towards 364 days
- Keep Full-Time registration each term
- SEVIS will remain active
- No ISSS authorization/new I-20 is required
- Travel Signature on I-20 before departure
- Submit to ISSS copy of the SCDC agreement