Drexel Hazing Prevention Policy
Regardless of the individual’s willingness to participate, hazing is any action taken or situation created involving new or returning organization/group members as a part of joining, maintaining membership or holding office in that organization that meets any or all of the following:
- Violates state or federal law
- Humiliates or degrades and individual or group
- Intentionally or unintentionally endangers an individual – mentally, physically or emotionally
New! Drexel Hazing Prevention Policy [PDF]
Student Conduct & Community Standards
Student Conduct & Community Standards
SCCS Mission Statement: To champion responsibility and learning.
Drexel University expects that all students as well as student organizations will conduct themselves responsibly and in a manner that reflects favorably upon themselves and the University. When a student or organization does not act responsibly and violates the University policies, rules, regulations, or standards of conduct, formal disciplinary action may result.
Student Code of Conduct/Student Handbook
To report a violation please follow the process outlined in the handbook.
Pennsylvania State Hazing Policy
[P.S.] § 5352. Definitions The following words and phrases when used in this act shall have the meanings given to them in this section unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
"HAZING" Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student or which willfully destroys or removes public or private property for the purpose of initiation or admission into or affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in, any organization operating under the sanction of or recognized as an organization by an institution of higher education. The term shall include, but not be limited to, any brutality of a physical nature, such as whipping, beating, branding, forced calisthenics, exposure to the elements, forced consumption of any food, liquor, drug or other substance, or any other forced physical activity which could adversely affect the physical health and safety of the individual, and shall include any activity which would subject the individual to extreme mental stress, such as sleep deprivation, forced exclusion from social contact, forced conduct which could result in extreme embarrassment, or any other forced activity which could adversely affect the mental health or dignity of the individual, or any willful destruction or removal of public or private property. For purposes of this definition, any activity as described in this definition upon which the initiation or admission into or affiliation with or continued membership in an organization is directly or indirectly conditioned shall be presumed to be "forced" activity, the willingness of an individual to participate in such activity notwithstanding.
"INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION" or "INSTITUTION." Any public or private institution within this Commonwealth authorized to grant an associate degree or higher academic degree.
[P.S.] § 5353. Hazing prohibited - Any person who causes or participates in hazing commits a misdemeanor of the third degree.
[P.S.] § 5354. Enforcement by institution
(A) ANTIHAZING POLICY.-- Each institution shall adopt a written antihazing policy and, pursuant to that policy, shall adopt rules prohibiting students or other persons associated with any organization operating under the sanction of or recognized as an organization by the institution from engaging in any activity which can be described as hazing.
(B) ENFORCEMENT AND PENALTIES.
- Each institution shall provide a program for the enforcement of such rules and shall adopt appropriate penalties for violations of such rules to be administered by the person or agency at the institution responsible for the sanctioning or recognition of such organizations.
- Such penalties may include the imposition of fines, the withholding of diplomas or transcripts pending compliance with the rules or pending payment of fines and the imposition of probation, suspension or dismissal.
- In the case of an organization which authorizes hazing in blatant disregard of such rules, penalties may also include rescission of permission for that organization to operate on campus property or to otherwise operate under the sanction or recognition of the institution.
- All penalties imposed under the authority of this section shall be in addition to any penalty imposed for violation of section 3 or any of the criminal laws of this State or for violation of any other institutional rule to which the violator may be subject.
- Rules adopted pursuant hereto shall apply to acts conducted on or off campus whenever such acts are deemed to constitute hazing.