Deanna Hill, J.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor
M.S., Higher Education
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, School of Education
J.D., B.A., and Certificate in African Studies, University of Iowa
Areas of Expertise:
- Higher education
- International education
- Education law
- Education policy
- Education law and politics
- Access and equity
- Critical Race Theory
- Global and international education
- West Wind Education Policy, Inc.
- HighPoints Learning, Inc.
- Georgia Department of Education
- Center on Education Policy
- University of Pittsburgh
- RAND Corporation
- Clark, Thomas, & Winters, P.C.
- Hill, D., Stumbo, C. & Hansen, D. (2011). The Teacher Performance Assessment Consortium: Policy considerations for participating states. Washington, DC: Council of Chief State School Officers.
- Hill, D., Stumbo, C., Paliokas, K, Hansen, D., & McWalters, P. (2010, July). State policy implications of the Model Core Teaching Standards. Washington, DC: Council of Chief State School Officers.
- Minnici, A. & Hill, D. (2007, September). Engaging in the struggle of educating for democracy. Teaching Education, 18(3), pp. 201-215. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis/Routledge.
- Hill, D. (2007, July 19). School district perspectives on state capacity (supplement to Educational architects: Do state education agencies have the tools necessary to implement NCLB? A report in the series From the capital to the classroom: Year 5 of the No Child Left Behind Act). Washington, D.C.: Center on Education Policy.
- Minnici, A., & Hill, D. (2007, May 9). Educational architects: Do state education agencies have the tools necessary to implement NCLB? A report in the series From the capital to the classroom: Year 5 of the No Child Left Behind Act. Washington, D.C.: Center on Education Policy.
- Hill, D. (2005). Review of the book “Turning back: The retreat from racial justice in American thought and policy.” Educational Studies, 38(2). San Francisco, CA: Caddo Gap Press.
- Gill, B., Hamilton, L.S., Lockwood, J.R., Marsh, J., Zimmer, R., Hill, D., & Pribesh, S. (2005). Inspiration, perspiration, and time: Operations and achievement in Edison Schools. Santa Barbara, CA: RAND Corporation.
- Gill, B., Hamilton, L.S., Lockwood, J.R., Marsh, J., Zimmer, R., Hill, D., & Pribesh, S. (2004). A decade of entrepreneurship in education: A look at Edison Schools’ improvement strategies and their effect on student achievement. Santa Barbara, CA: RAND Corporation.
- Gill, B., Christina, R., Clothey, R., & Hill, D. (2003, September). Student performance in the Pittsburgh Public Schools. Santa Barbara, CA: RAND Corporation.
- Hill, D., Stumbo, C. & Riggan, B. (2012, April). Measuring what we value: Racial equity and educator evaluation. American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, B.C.
- Hill, D. (2011, April). Discussant, Collaborating to improve teacher quality: Insights, challenges and opportunities. American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Hill, D. & Stumbo, C. (2010, April). Colorblindness par excellence in the Obama era: Towards a color conscious approach to ESEA. Fourth Annual Critical Race Studies in Education Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Stumbo, C. & Hill, D. (2009, November). Problematizing achievement gaps: Recommendations for the National Assessment Governing Board (invited presentation for the Reporting and Dissemination Committee). Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Hill, D. (2009, August). Eliminating racial micro-aggressions. Unleashing Knowledge and Innovation for the Next Generation of Learning Summit. Tamaya, New Mexico.
- Hill, D. (2009, April). Commentator, “The time is now: Examining the leaking education pipeline through a CRT perspective.” CRT 20: Honoring Our Past, Charting Our Future. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.