James E. Connell, Jr., Ph.D., NCSP, BCBA-D
Associate Professor, Clinical Director and Research Fellow, A.J. Drexel Autism Institute
M.S., Special Education
M.S., Applied Behavioral Analysis
Ph.D., and M.A., Louisiana State University, School of Psychology
B.A., Temple University
Areas of Expertise:
- Individual and systems consultation in community settings, including mental and behavioral health agencies and public and private school systems
- Autism intervention
- Dissemination of evidence-based programs
- Program evaluation
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS)
- Response-to-Intervention (RtI)
- Functional analysis
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA)
- Function-based intervention
- Antecedent-based intervention
- School Psychology
- Behavior Analysis
- Identifying the variables that influence adult behavior change in community settings
- Widespread dissemination of evidence-based interventions in school and community settings
- University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine (2010-12)
- Eastern Region Autism Service Education Research and Training (ASERT) (2011 -present)
Clinical Director, Bureau of Autism Services, PA DPW
- Temple University Psycho-educational Clinic (2010-11)
- Temple University, College of Education (2007-10)
Assistant Professor (tenure track)
- Temple University, College of Education, Applied Behavior Analysis Program (2007-10)
Affiliated Assistant Professor
- Children’s Seashore House—Philadelphia (1996-98)
- May Institute (2003-04)
APA Accredited Internship
Lectures by Invitation:
- Fall 2012 Bridging the Divide: Implementing Evidence-Based Practice in Community Settings, Center for Autism and Related Disorders at Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Fall 2012 We’re all in the is together now: Behavioral Consultation for the Behavior Analyst, Melmark Distinguished Lecture Series
- Fall 2012 Applied Behavior Analysis and Autism, Chestnut Hill College Autism Program
- Fall 2012 Evidence-based Interventions and Therapies to treat Autism Spectrum Disorder, Southeastern Pennsylvania Mental Health Association
- Summer 2012 Bridging the Divide: Implementing Evidence-Based Practice in Community Settings, Wisconsin Association for Behavior Analysis
- Spring 2012 Evidence-based interventions for individuals with autism spectrum disorder. University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing graduate training program.
- Spring, 2012 Using school-based consultation and dissemination science to increase implementation of evidenced-based interventions in autistic support classrooms. Inaugural presentation of the Rider University Applied Behavior Analysis Program Distinguished Lecture Series
- Winter 2011 School Psychology Research Collaboration Conference for Early Career Scholars, Panel Discussion for new scholars.
- Winter 2011 Functional Behavioral Assessment and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support, Community Behavioral Health
- Fall 2011 Autism Interventions for the Classroom, the STAR Curriculum, Elwyn Co.
- Fall 2011 Applied Behavior Analysis and Autism, Chestnut Hill College Autism Program
- Fall 2011 Functional Behavioral Assessment and behavioral interventions for persons with autism spectrum disorder. Invited presentation Community Behavioral Health Care Managers.
- Fall 2011 Educational and Behavioral Interventions: Managing Behavior using behavior Analysis. Invited presentation delivered to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and related Disorders (LEND) program.
- Fall 2011 Evidence-based interventions in autistic support classrooms. Invited presentation to Elwyn classroom staff.
- Bloomfield, A.; Connell, J.E.; Fiorello, C. (2012 ). Identifying Gifted Students Using CBM Procedures and RTI Processes. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologist, Philadelphia.
- Day, J. & Connell, J.E. (2012 ). Establishing a Generalized Repertoire of Helping Behavior in Adolescents With Autism: A Replication. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Behavior Analysis conference, Seattle.
- Pellecchia, M.; Cross, E.; Connell, J.E. (2011 ). Comparisons of Discrete Trial and Incidental Teaching for Children with Autism Based on Cognitive Levels. Symposium presented at the international meeting for the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Denver.
- McMullen, L.; Connell, J.E.; Manfredi, R. (2011 ). IQ as An Outcome Measure In Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: What Are We Measuring? Poster presented at the International Meeting for Autism Research, San Diego.
- Malone, C. & Connell, J.E. (2011 ). Evaluating the Validity of Vocabulary Matching CBM Probes in Mathematics. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologist, San Francisco.
- Cross E, Rotheram-Fuller E, Connell JE, Aguilar S, Pellecchia M, & Greenwell, R. (2011 ). Integrating Academic and Social Progress Monitoring. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologist, San Francisco.
- Connell JE, Codding R, Aguilar S, Cross , Archer J, Ardoin S (2010). Math computation instruction: Does it generalize to applied problems. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologist, Chicago.
- Codding R, Connell JE, Fiorello C, Aguilar S, Cross E, Picanco B (2010). Extending beyond computation: Technical adequacy of curriculum-based mathematics measures. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologist, Chicago.
- Pellecchia M, Connell JE, Eisenhart D, Kane M, Schoener C, Turkel K (2010). Group performance feedback: Consultation to a classroom autistic support team. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologist, Chicago.
- Hinchey M, Connell JE, Pellecchia M, Hineline P, Mansfield R, MacDonald R, Johnson, C, Langer S, Ahearn W (2009). Best practices and social validity issues in providing services to children with autism. (Presenter). Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Behavior Analysis conference, Phoenix.
- Connell, J.E. (2008). Universal behavioral supports: Evaluating the sustainability of systems level support. (Presenter). Poster presented at the 1st Annual ABAI Conference, Reston, Va.
- Connell JE, Haverstick L, Rodichock T, Boyer J, Noell G (2008). Increasing frequency and quality of consultation contact with technology. (Presenter). Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologist, New Orleans.
- Connell, J. E. (2007). Positive behavioral supports: Some practical considerations. Invited Presentation at the Association of School Psychologists of Pennsylvania.
Research Publications, peer reviewed:
- Pisacreta, J.; Tincani, M.; Connell, J.E.; & Axelrod, S. (2011 ). Increasing teachers’ Use of a 1:1 Praise to behavior Correction Ratio to Decrease Student Disruption in General Education Classrooms. Behavioral Interventions, 26, 243-339.
- Pellecchia, M.; Connell, J.E.; Eisenhart, D.; Kane, M.; Schoener, C.; Turkel, K.; Riley, M.; & Mandell, D.S. (2011 ). Group Performance Feedback: Consultation to Increase Classroom Team Data Collection, Journal of School Psychology, 49, 411-431.
- Kane, M.; Connell, J.E.; & Pellecchia, M. (2010). A Quantitative analysis of language interventions for children with autism. The Behavior Analyst Today, 11, 128-144.
- Connell, J.E. (2010). Applications of performance feedback: Consultation in the home. International Journal of Behavioral Consultation and Therapy, 6, 17-23.
- Cabellero, A.; Connell, J.E. (2010). Evaluation of the effects of social cue cards for preschool age children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Journal of Behavior Assessment and Intervention in Children, 1, 25-42.
- Handler, M.H.; Rey, J.; Connell, J.E.; Their, K.; Putnam, B. (2007). Practical considerations in creating school-wide positive behavior support in public schools. Psychology in the Schools, 44, 29-40.
- Noell, G.H.; Witt, J.C.; Slider, N.J.; Connell, J.E.; Williams, K.L.; Resetar, J.L.; Koenig, J.L. (2005). Treatment implementation following behavioral consultation in schools: A comparison of three follow-up strategies. School Psychology Review, 34, 87-106.
- Codding, R.; Connell, J.E. (2008). Preparing educators to use curriculum-based measurement. In Kowalski TJ & Lasley TJ. (Eds.). Handbook on data-based decision making in education (pp. 136-152). New York: Routledge.
- Connell, J.E.; Pellecchia, M.; Vorndran, C.M. (2012 ). Classroom interventions for youth with Pervasive Developmental Disorders/Autism Spectrum Disorders. In Weist M, Lever N, Bradshaw C, and Owens J (Eds.).Handbook of School Mental Health, Second Edition. Springer. (in print)