Rebecca Clothey, Ph.D.
One Drexel Plaza
M.S., Higher Education
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, School of Education
M.A., American University, School of International Service
B.A., University of Pittsburgh, College of Arts and Sciences
- Higher education policy
Comparative and international education
Equity and access
Online social activism
Community based schools
Drexel University, School of Education
CET Academic Programs
University of Pittsburgh
Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe: Mission to Bosnia-Herzegovina
Southwest Jiaotong University (Chengdu, China)
Westinghouse Science and Technology Center
“Challenges, Opportunities, and Best Practices for Internationally Administered Education Master’s Programs.” Invited presentation at Loyola University’s School of Education in Chicago, IL, February 2012.
“Why China in the Twenty-first Century?” (Invited as featured speaker) at Marywood University, Scranton, PA, April 12, 2012.
“Internationalization of higher education institutions in China: Toward world-class status.” (presented at the Comparative and International Education Society annual meeting in San Juan, Puerto Rico, April 22, 2012.)
Clothey, R. (2009, March). Globalization and English language policy for linguistic minorities in China. Comparative and International Education Society. Charleston, SC.
Clothey, R. and Austin-Li (2008, November). Building Virtual Communities: It Takes a Global Village. Asia-Pacific Conference on International Education. Shanghai, China.
Clothey, R. and Schmitt, C. (2008, June). Education in Motion: Innovating with iPods. World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EDMEDIA) 2008. Vienna, Austria. (Paper published in conference proceedings.)
Clothey, R. (2008, January). Economic Dualities: Expanding Opportunities through Distance Education. World Universities Forum. Davos, Switzerland.
Clothey, R. and Austin-Li, S. (2009, July). The Amazing Technicolor Symposium: Video-enabling an Online Conference. Industry webinar hosted by Netbriefings.
Clothey, R. (2008, July). Enhancing Distance Education with Multimedia: Lessons for Building a Results-Oriented, Successful Business Model for Adult Distance Education. Invited Lecturer. 8th Annual Wainhouse Research Collaboration Summit, Boston, MA.
Clothey, R. (2008, February). From Everest to Rushmore: An English language Program for Tibetans in China. Invited Lecturer. International Café, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
Clothey, R. (2007, April). Education for Tibetans in China: Issues, Challenges, and Alternatives. Invited lecturer. St. Vincent’s College, Pittsburgh, PA.
Clothey, R. (2004, May). China: Human rights and ethnic minorities. A perspective on language and education rights. Invited lecturer. Webster University, St. Louis, MO.
Clothey, R. (2004, February). China’s ethnic minorities and higher education: Policies, identities, and implications. Invited lecturer. Florida State University, School of Education, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies Department.
Co-editor (with Professor Teng Xing of Minzu University, Beijing) of a special issue of the journal Frontiers of Education in China on ‘Education and cultural diversity in China’s society.’ The journal, published by Springer, is one of the only academic journals published in English in China.
“Educational Diversity in Inner Asia,” solicited contribution to Banks, J. (Ed). Encyclopedia of Diversity in Education. London: SAGE Publications (forthcoming).
“Central University for Nationalities,” solicited contribution to Qiang, Z. (Ed.) Education in China: An Encyclopedic Handbook of Educational History, Models, and Initiatives. Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing (forthcoming).
Books and monographs:
- Clothey, R., Austin-Li, S., and Weidman, J., (Eds.) (2012). Post-secondary education and technology: a global perspective on opportunities and obstacles to development. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Clothey, R.; Worden, R.; Savada, A., and Zhang, M. (1996). China in the Twenty-first Century: Implications for Open Source Research. Washington DC: Library of Congress Federal Research Division.
- Clothey, R. and Hu, D.Y (forthcoming). “The Impact of a National Goal Driven Higher Education Policy on an Ethnic Minority Serving Institution in China” (accepted by the Journal of Higher Education Policy).
- Clothey, R. and McKinlay, E. (2012). “A Space for the Possible: Globalization and English Language Learning for Tibetan Students in China.” Asian Highlands Perspectives. 21:7-32.
- Clothey, R. (2011). “Opportunities and Obstacles: Technology’s Potential for Expanding Access to Higher Education. Excellence in Higher Education. 2, 51-58.
Clothey, R. and Austin-Li, S. (2010). Building a Sense of Community through Online Video. International Journal of Web-Based Communities: Special Issue on “Web Based Research Networks and Learning Communities” 6(3), pp. 303-316.
- Clothey, R.; Mills, M. and Baumgarten, J. (2010, March). A closer look at the impact of globalization on science education. Cultural Studies of Science Education: Special Issue on “Globalization,” 5:305-313.
- Clothey, R. (2008). Economic Dualities: Expanding Opportunities through Distance Education. Journal of the World Universities Forum, Vol. 1 (5). Vancouver, B.C.: Common Ground.
- Clothey, R. (August, 2005). China’s policies for ethnic minority studies: Negotiating national values and ethnic identities. Comparative Education Review. (vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 389-409).
Book chapters, encyclopedia entries, and other work:
- Clothey, R. (in press). “ICT and Indigenous Education: Emerging Challenges and Potential Solutions,” In Jacob, J., Sheng Yao Cheng, and M. Porter (Eds.) Indigenous Education: Language, Culture and Identity. New York: Springer.
- Clothey, R. (2013). “Central University for Nationalities,” solicited contribution to Qiang, Z. (Ed.) Education in China: An Encyclopedic Handbook of Educational History, Models, and Initiatives. Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing.
- Clothey, R.; Austin-Li, S. and Weidman, J. (2012). Introduction: Education, ICT, and International Development, pp. 1-16 in Clothey, R.; Austin-Li, S. and Weidman, J. (Eds.) Post-secondary education and technology: a global perspective on opportunities and obstacles to development. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Clothey, R. (2012). Globalization, Decentralization and Equity: Post-secondary English Language Policy in China, pp. 163-182, in C. Acedo (ed.). Quality and Qualities: Tensions between Global and Local in Education Reforms. Comparative and International Education: A Diversity of Voices Series. Rotterdam, the Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Clothey, R. (2012). Internationalisation of Higher Education Institutions in China: Two Universities: Two Approaches, In Coverdale-Jones, T. (Ed.) Transnational Higher Education in Asia. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Clothey, R. (2012). “Educational Diversity in Inner Asia,” solicited contribution to Banks, J. (Ed). Encyclopedia of Diversity in Education. London: SAGE Publications.
- Clothey, R. (2010). Current Trends in Higher Education: Expanding Access in Asia Pacific through Technology. Comparative & International Higher Education, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 3–5.