A Message from Dean Songer
The landscape in the American education system is constantly changing. In today’s fast-paced world, our schools, educators, administrators and stakeholders must be nimble to adjust to the latest developments in education technology, changes in the learning environment, and issues outside the classroom that affect how children learn.
At the School of Education, we are at the cutting-edge of the education field due in large part to three major commitments we make to education:
- To practice centeredness that roots everything we do in its application to daily life—confronting real problems on which we can have real impact;
- To partnerships—among Drexel colleagues and those in our community—that focus our attention on the most critical education needs of teachers, learners and leaders and allows us to bring our exceptionally deep and diverse expertise to bear on their challenges.
- To entrepreneurship, and more specifically, a rapid innovation cycle that enables us to quickly devise, test and improve on solutions to the urgent education problems of our communities and scale them up to meet the needs of others nationally and around the world.
We have developed a strategic plan that sets the stage for the development of the School of Education for years to come through three major goals:
- To be a national Leader in Urban Education
- To be a crucible for Pedagogical Innovation
- To be an innovator in lifelong and life-wide learning
With an eye to the future, we believe that the School of Education at Drexel University will be known as the premier practiced-based, community and civically-engaged, research driven institution that produces leaders who effect change in the classroom, in education administration, and in research and policy, with a reach that is local, national and global.
I encourage you to explore our website and see all of the valuable opportunities we offer our students and our unwavering commitment to education.
Nancy Butler Songer, Ph.D.
Dean, School of Education