Paul G. Allen Family Foundation Artificial Intelligence Research Program
The Office of Research is soliciting internal applicants for the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation Artificial Intelligence Research program. The program seeks to fund a select group of investigators to pursue new, pioneering research in academic settings that, collectively, ‘move the needle’ towards answering broad scientific questions. The most promising proposals will incorporate novel, creative, and ambitious approaches. For this reason, the program is especially interested in proposals that are unlikely to receive funding from traditional governmental sources.
This 2014 request for proposals (RFP) focuses on three fundamental Artificial Intelligence topics: (1) Machine Reading (2) Diagram Interpretation and (3) Spatial and Temporal Reasoning. These topics are aligned with the vision of the Allen Institute for AI (www.allenai.org), but the AI ADI program is a distinct program funded and administered by The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation. As an institution we may submit only three applications total for this competition.
Visit the foundation website for a description of the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation Artificial Intelligence Research program.
Internal applications due no later than 11:59 pm, April 18, 2014.
Full applications due to the Foundation by May 30, 2014.
For our internal competition we require the following:
- An NIH format biographical sketch. (max 2 pages)
- Project Description (max 3 pages) including how the project "moves the needle forward" to answer questions posed in the specific cohort and any interdisciplinary elements
- Project Milestones and measurable outcomes (max 2 pages)
- Budget narrative (max 3 pages)
- A letter of nomination from the Dean and/or Department Head. This letter may be emailed to the candidate or provided to them as a pdf or doc, but must be submitted together with the application, not separately mailed to the research office.
Submit as a single pdf, with the name of the Principal Investigator (PI) and Paul Allen Foundation in the title. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line including the phrase Paul Allen Foundation, no later than 11:59 pm, April 18, 2014. Full applications are due by May 30, 2014.