Office: 3025 MacAlister
- M.A., Political Science, University of Pittsburgh, 1993
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Pittsburgh 1998
Comparative Politics, Environmental Politics, Political Theory
One of my teachers at the University of Pittsburgh thought the only good reason for studying politics was to figure out how to make democracy work better. I hope that this concern for democracy's health is evident in my own teaching and writing on the politics of nuclear waste, deliberative democracy, and environmental movements. In most of my writing I draw on work in comparative politics and political theory to make sense of democratic politics. My next project examines how European activists campaigning for improved food safety and animal welfare regulations are helping to create genuinely transnational public spheres, without which it would be hard to imagine a more democratic European Union.
- Hendriks, C., Dryzek, J. S. & Hunold, C. (Forthcoming). Turning Up the Heat: Partisanship in Deliberative Innovation. Political Studies .
- Hunold, C. (2006). The European Commission's E-Government Initiatives and Public Participation. In Ari-Veikko Anttiroiko & Matti Mälkiä (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Digital Government . Hershey , PA : Idea Group.
Green States and Social Movements: Environmentalism in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Norway
. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003). ISBN 0199249032. 223 pp.
European Politics Reconsidered . (Teaneck, NJ: Holmes & Meier Publishers Inc; 2nd edition, 1997). ISBN 0841913641. 369 pp.
- Hunold, C. (2005.) Green Political Theory and the European Union: The Case for a Nonintegrated Civil Society. Environmental Politics 14(3), 324-343.
- Hunold, C. & Dryzek, J. S. (2005). Green Political Strategy and the State: Combining Political Theory and Comparative History. In John Barry & Robyn Eckersley (Eds.), The State and the Global Ecological Crisis (pp.75-95). Boston, MA: MIT Press.
- Hunold, C. (2004). Procedural and Substantive Criteria for Siting Justice. Swiss Political Science Review 10(4), 192-201.
- Hunold, C. (2002). Canada 's Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Problem: Voluntarism Reconsidered . Environmental Politics, 11 (2), 49-72.
- Hunold, C. & Dryzek, J. S. (2002). Green Political Theory and the State: Context is Everything. Global Environmental Politics, 2 (3), 17-39.
- Dryzek, J. S., Hunold, C. & Schlosberg, D. (2002). Environmental Transformation of the State: The USA, Norway, Germany , and the UK . Political Studies, 50 (4), 659-682.