The School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems
- Dr. Gregory Fridman, assistant research professor in BIOMED and co-director, Plasma Medicine Lab, AJ Drexel Plasma Institute, is a member of the team that received a $1M award from the Keck Foundation for their multi-disciplinary research proposal for the project titled “Transformation of Biomolecules by Nonequilibrium Plasma.”
- Dr. Patricia Shewokis, professor in CoNHP with a joint appointment in BIOMED, was cited in a NY Times article on NBC News and Sports bringing the ‘Science of NHL Hockey’ to TVs and classrooms.
- Dr. Wan Shih, associate professor in BIOMED, was cited in an article in the January issue of Medical Design Briefs regarding her project titled “Portable, Low-Cost, Radiation-Free Breast Cancer Detector for Dense Breasts” (W.Y. Shih, A. Brooks, W.H. Shih, and L. Komarnicky).
- Dr. Anna Merzagora, research assistant professor in BIOMED, authored the paper titled “Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy–Based Assessment of Attention Impairments After Traumatic Brain Injury,” which was selected as one of the top ten papers from Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences (JIOHS) in 2011 (A. Merzagora, M. Schultheis, B. Onaral and M. Izzetoglu).
- Dr. Banu Onaral, H. H. Sun Professor and Director of BIOMED, was honored by the Israel Chamber of Commerce on November 15, 2011 at the US – Israel Healthcare Technology Conference Kick-off, an event celebrating US-Israel healthcare collaborations. She is one of the of the founding members of the Drexel University – Hebrew University research HUB, which brings together premier scientists and engineers from the two universities to define and advance joint translational biomedical research projects.
- Delegation to Israel: Dr. Uri Hershberg, assistant professor; Dr. Andres Kriete, associate professor; Dr. Banu Onaral, H.H. Sun Professor and director; Dr. Rami Seliktar, professor and vice director; Dr. Adrian Shieh, assistant professor; and Dr. Margaret Wheatley, John M. Reid Professor (all in BIOMED), presented their research at the 2nd Bi-national Symposium on Translational Research in Biomedicine and Biomedical Engineering, Hebrew University, Institute for Drug Research and Drexel University, held at the Dan Hotel, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, January 29-31, 2012.