Parental Accomodation Fellowship
Parental Accommodation Fellowships are available to current students receiving full-time Research Assistantships (RA) or Teaching Assistantships (TA) who satisfy the following criteria:
- The student is pregnant, or is the primary caregiver of her/his infant child or adopted infant child.
- The student has completed at least one year in her/his program as an RA or TA and is in good academic standing.
- The student has an appointment letter that indicates that she/he has been promised full-time support through any combination of TA and/or RA for the period (no more than a quarter) in which the fellowship is tenable.
A maximum of $4,000 can be awarded that must be used to relieve the student of teaching responsibilities or as a replacement for her/his stipend if the student is an RA. The award may not match dollar-for-dollar the regular stipend that the fellow is expecting to receive. In the case of a TA, it is expected that the student’s department will be able to find an adjunct or otherwise qualified instructor to stand in for the awardee.
- The Parental Accommodation Fellowship may be taken during the quarter in which the child is born or adopted, or during the quarter immediately following.
- Students should consult with their academic advisors to determine how they will maintain full-time enrollment.
- Students with loans should consult with Drexel Central on matters related to Financial Aid before beginning their parental accommodation fellowship.
- International students should discuss the parental accommodation fellowship and attendant leave with International Students and Scholars Services to be sure there are no unforeseen issues related to their visa status.
Applications should be submitted by the 6th week of the quarter/semester prior to the tenure of the fellowship. To apply, the student must send the following components (combined in a single pdf file) to the Office of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Parental Accommodation Fellowship”:
- Application form, fully completed
- The student’s letter requesting the parental accommodation
- A copy of the student’s assistantship appointment letter
- A letter from the student’s supervisor detailing the arrangements that will account for the student’s teaching and research responsibilities during the accommodation period
- One of the following:
- Confirmation of pregnancy signed by a US doctor;
- A birth certificate for the infant child; or
- A statement of adoption from an adoption agency.