Graduate Student Day Awards
Graduate Student Day, hosted by the Office of Graduate Studies and Graduate Student Association, usually occurs at the end of May each year. The occasion is to recognize the contributions of graduate students towards the mission of the university especially in the classroom, in the teaching lab and the research lab. Excellence awards (in Research, in Teaching, and in Service) are handed out to deserving nominees. A reception then follows. This year’s Graduate Student Day will be held on Friday, May 30, 2014 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. in the Great Court of the Main Building (3141 Chestnut Street).
The Office of Graduate Studies through its Graduate Student Excellence Committee selects graduate students (full-time master’s and doctoral), who have exhibited outstanding research/scholarship/creativity in the past year, for certificates of recognition and monetary awards. Winners are notified ahead of time and receive their awards at Graduate Student Day each year.
The dossier for each nomination must include the following information:
- Graduate student’s name and the department/program in which the student is enrolled
- Graduate student’s CV highlighting papers published, presentations made and conferences attended since April of the previous year, if any - the details of the papers/posters should conform to the format outlined in the Graduate Student Handbook on page 44
- A 2-page statement by the student explaining the significance of their research
- A letter from a referee/faculty advisor stating the reasons for nominating this particular student
- An endorsement note from the department/program’s graduate advisor or director/head
Nominations for Research Excellence Awards should be submitted to the Associate Vice Provost for Graduate Studies at email@example.com in a single PDF file or by hand to the Office of Graduate Studies (Randell 240) by 5pm Friday, May 9, 2014.
Outstanding TA Awards
The Office of Graduate Studies through its Committee on Teaching Assistant Excellence accepts nominations for Outstanding TAs from all undergraduate students who have been taught by TAs in labs, recitations, workshops, clinics and lectures and from faculty/staff who have worked with the TAs. Winners are notified ahead of time and receive their awards at Graduate Student Day each year. Awardees, if still in school, will also be expected to participate in TA Orientation activities during the week before classes begin in the Fall 2014 term.
Nominees must meet the following requirements:
- Must be appointed as a teaching assistant and have taught at least one full quarter during the current academic year.
- Must be currently teaching or have taught courses/labs/recitations for which s/he had major responsibility and/or played a major role in the teaching of the class.
To nominate a TA:
- Complete the TA nomination form (Self-nominations will not be considered)
- Cite specific examples and details to support your answer
- To qualify, at least one nomination must come from an undergraduate student taught by the TA
Nominations for Outstanding TA Awards should be submitted by Monday, April 21, 2014. For more information, contact Alexis Finger at 215-895-6818 or firstname.lastname@example.org.