Each awardee will receive an expense-paid trip to Philadelphia with a companion. They will attend pre-commencement activities and the commencement ceremony of the respective nominating student where the teacher will be honored. In addition a monetary award will be made to each awardee. All award recipients are required to attend these events.
Deadline for Submission
April 19, 2013
EligibilityAn active high school teacher of a graduating senior at Drexel University may be nominated. Relatives of graduating seniors are not eligible to receive the award.
Nominations must be submitted before April 19, 2013 and are made online and consists of two parts, 1) nomination information and 2) an essay. The essay should be one to two pages and copied and pasted into the large field on the nomination form.
Judging and Criteria
Based on the 1 to 2 page essay submitted by the student, the Committee will consider the following:
- What was the role of the teacher in encouraging the student to pursue a college education?
- How did the teacher inspire the student to consider a certain major/career path?
- How did the teacher teach the student to think?
- What was the teacher’s interest in the student’s career goals?
- How was the teacher a positive role model?
- Did the teacher do something extraordinary for the student?
- How many awards will be made?
- There will be at least one award per commencement ceremony.
The Committee will select a group of finalists who will be contacted and notified about the program. The finalists will be asked to send a resume and related information. The teacher’s school principal will also be contacted for a reference. The awardees will be selected from the group of finalists.