Who are Near Peer Mentors?
Near Peers are upper-division undergraduates who have completed a minimum of 54 credits with a cumulative GPA of a 2.8. Near Peers are representative of the interests, backgrounds, and experiences of our overall student body and include both domestic and international undergraduates from each of the schools and colleges at Drexel.
What do Near Peer Mentors do?
Near Peers partner with a variety of stakeholders from across the campus -- including academic advisors co-op coordinators, and faculty --to plan and implement programming that encourages student development. Near Peers work closely with the incoming freshmen students and discuss their experiences in Drexel, better ways to communicate with professors, and any other issues that freshmen have in terms of adjusting to the fast paced academics at Drexel.
What are the requirements and qualifications to be a Near Peer?
Some of the basic requirements and qualification to becoming a Near Peer include:
- 54 credits or more with a cumulative GPA of a 2.8 or higher and in good academic standing.
- Good communication and organizational skills, friendly nature, ability to prioritize work, respects and has awareness of cultural differences.
- Proficient English language speaker. Facility with one or more languages is a plus.
What are the benefits of becoming a Near Peer?
- Being a Near Peer is an official on-campus, part-time, student leadership position.
- International students are able to apply for a Social Security Number once they are offered
employment as a Near Peer.
- Near Peers have the opportunity to:
- Develop leadership and networking skills.
- Enhance communication and project management skills.
- Gain a new perspective towards life, college education and career.
- Inspire each other.
Where will Near Peers work?
Near Peers work primarily in the Drexel Learning Center (Creese Student Center, Suite 050). Based on need, Near Peers may also be assigned to work in an academic advising office or the Steinbright Career Development Center (SCDC).