Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
Spend your summer SURFing!
June 6 - August 12, 2016
About the Fellowship
The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies offers challenging summer programs for qualified undergraduates:
- Renowned faculty
- Close mentoring
The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies awards 10-week Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) to undergraduate students wishing to explore biomedical research careers.
Enhance your analytical and technical scientific research skills while working with and receiving mentoring from College of Medicine faculty in various disciplines:
- Molecular and cell biology and genetics
- Microbiology and immunology
- Pharmacology and physiology
SURF fellows earn a stipend of $3,000 based on 40 hours' work per week in an assigned laboratory.
Housing: Only students who reside within reasonable commuting distance to Philadelphia will be considered (please indicate your summer address on the application).
Drexel University College of Medicine faculty and members of their laboratories guide students through the planning and practice of daily research experiments and activities. Each student is assigned to work in a specific laboratory for the duration of the program, typically on a project unique to the research goals of that laboratory. Students are integrated into the daily work of the laboratory, participating in laboratory meetings and gaining exposure to different facets of the laboratory's research. Mentors help students apply their current knowledge and skills and assist them in making the connection between laboratory experiences and their academic studies. Successful applicants will be matched with a participating faculty member according to their research interests.
Back to Top
End-of-summer presentations: At the conclusion of their project, students give formal, conference-style presentations describing their research projects to an audience of Drexel faculty and graduate/medical students. Students meet with their mentors periodically throughout the summer to develop their presentations.
Discovery Day: SURF fellows may also be invited to return in October to present their research in poster form at Discovery Day, the annual day of research at Drexel University College of Medicine.
Back to Top
SURF Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must have an interest in pursuing biomedical research (i.e., PhD or MD/PhD) in graduate school and must be in good standing at their respective undergraduate institutions.
- Sophomores and juniors (as of spring 2016) are given priority, although freshmen may apply.
- Seniors expected to graduate in 2016 are not eligible.
- Selection will be based on the student's academic undergraduate record, research experience, letters of recommendation, and statements of research interests and career goals.
Back to Top
How to Apply
- Submit your application
- Be sure that the email address you enter on the application is valid, as all notifications from the program will be by email. Include a summer address.
- Application deadline (for completed applications):
* Deadline extended to: Monday, February 1, 2016.
- Early applications are encouraged, as a limited number of fellowships may be awarded prior to the deadline.
Submit two letters of recommendation:
- Email to email@example.com
- Letters should be on official letterhead
- Must be sent directly from the recommender
- Please put "SURF Program, [name of applicant]" in the subject line
Arrange for official transcripts to be mailed from your current college or university to:
Division of Biomedical Sciences
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies
2900 W. Queen Lane, Suite G-24
Philadelphia, PA 19129
(Note: All materials — including applications, transcripts, and letters — must be received by February 15.)
Back to Top