Message from the Interim Director
Welcome to the Lindy Center for Civic Engagement! I hope that you find our website an important tool to learn about the various programs and initiatives that emphasize Drexel University’s commitment to civic engagement.
The Lindy Center for Civic Engagement offers an interdisciplinary approach to co-curricular and extra-curricular programming, seeking excellence in all that we do. Whether that is engaging all Drexel students in public service through first-year civic engagement, collaborating with faculty on CIVC courses, or developing long-term civic engagement activities through special initiatives and our student leadership programs, we are very excited about the high-quality programs and activities that take place through the Lindy Center.
As part of the mission of the Lindy Center we work with university students, faculty, staff and community-based organizations to promote civic engagement consistent with the University’s strategic plan. To highlight a few of our programs, the Lindy Center:
- …Is launching a new Certificate in Civic Engagement to offer a rigorous intellectual core to civic engagement initiatives and support students and faculty in community based experiential learning courses.
- ...Is continuing to expand our premier student leadership program, Drexel Community Scholars, to build capacity in our community partnerships and contribute to an empowering experience for our students.
- ...Is continuing to improve upon the freshman experience course, UNIV 101, as a national model of community based experiential learning.
- ...Is continuing to have a positive impact on the Philadelphia community, especially the lives of young people, through the Lindy Scholars Program.
- ...Is continuing to expand our High School Mentoring Program to match Drexel students with aspiring high school students in career guidance and college access mentoring activities
- …Is continuing the work of strengthening partnerships with community-based and civic organizations in the Philadelphia region through the Learn More, Serve More series, Community Interns initiative, and America Reads, America Counts program.
Again, a hearty welcome! These are just some of the programs we are involved with this year. We look forward to hearing from the many people, departments, schools, colleges, and organizations that enhance our collaborations and make our work so enjoyable.
Jennifer Johnson Kebea