How To Create a Custom Content Guide
- The custom content guide component displays a list of all children of a particular item (e.g. a list of allfaculty members contained under a "Faculty and Staff" parent item.)
- Once created, the guide list can be placed on any subpage.
- The guide list displays an optional header and footer and then for each list item, it displays fields you choose and renders them with any additional HTML you add.
- Create individual child items under a single parent. For example, individual faculty profile pages will be created as children of an item called "Faculty and Staff."
- Create the guide component.
- Configure the guide component.
- Add the quide component to a page.
Items in Detail
1. Create Individual Faculty Profile pages
- Go to whatever parent item will hold the child items. For this example let's have the "facstaff" item be the parent (later called the Target), and the individual faculty profiles will be the children.
- If the facstaff parent item is configured to automatically add faculty profiles, you can add a new profile by clicking in the "Insert" portion of the "Home" ribbon
- If all you see to add are basic pages, do this instead:
- Right click on facstaff
- Click "Insert"
- Then click "Insert from Template"
- In the next dialog box, you will choose which template to add. In this case, you can find faculty profiles by expanding the "Drexel" folder; then choose FacultyProfile; then give the profile a name and click "Insert."
- Fill out whichever fields are relevant to the faculty profile.
- Review the item and remember to "Approve for Publication."
2. Create the CustomContentGuide List Component
- Go to your site's Extras/ContentGuides folder.
- Right click on the folder and choose Insert - CustomContentGuide.
- Give the guide an item name; no one will see this name - it's for your benefit only.
- Choose the parent of the faculty profiles where it says "Target" by navigating the content tree
- You must Save your item in order to continue. Click "Save" in the upper left corner of the screen.
- After saving, check the box for which types of items to include in your list
- You must again.
- In the "List Item Fields" box, you choose which data fields to display for each list item. Highlight fields from the box on the left, and click the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box on the right. Use the up/down arrows to rearrange items.
- In the List Item Template box, use arrange the per-item HTML display. Please NOTE: every item will be in an LI tag and the whole list will be in a UL.
- If you want to change the HTML presentation of alternating list elements use the Alternating List Item Template Field
- Guide Header and Guide Footer fields will be rendered before and after the list, respectively
- At the bottom of the Content guide, there are four fields allowing you to set classes on the DIV, UL, and LI tags associated with this guide
3. Adding the Content Guide Component to a Page
To add this list to a page, you will need to find the page in the content editor and edit that page's Presentation Details. Learn more about editing a page layout.