Drexel University has a number virtual learning environments used for hosting distance-education courses and to supplement traditional face-to-face settings that work over the Internet and provide a collection of tools to facilitate content delivery, communication, and assessment.
Drexel Learn is the university's fully-supported course management system. It is fully integrated with the DrexelOne portal and the Banner Student Information System.
- Grade Center - centralized area for grading, tracking student progress, and generating reports
- Content Editor - add and format text, insert equations and hyperlinks, tables, and attach files
- Discussion Board - allow members of the class to communicate asynchronously with one another
- Assignments - creates a secure location for students to submit work for a course assignment
- Turnitin - a Building Block (plugin) that checks students' work for improper citation or potential plagiarism.
- Photo Class List - class registration, photographs, email lists
More about Learn
Camtasia Studio is an application that facilitates the capture, editing and production of multimedia on a desktop computer.
More about Camtasia
Collaborate is a synchronous, virtual classroom. Its features include multi-way audio and video, easy upload of PowerPoint presentations, application sharing, and polling.
More about Collaborate
ePortfolios organize and publish academic and professional work.
More about ePortfolios
Impatica for PowerPoint is a utility that converts PowerPoint presentations with audio, video (uncompressed .avi files only), animations, transitions, and more into a compressed file format that is optimized for web delivery.
More about Impatica
Kaltura is a streaming service that allows for the upload of video, audio and image files. Currently available within Drexel Learn, videos can be linked within courses and reports of user activity are available.
- Handbrake - allows for quick encoding and compression of video files
More about Kaltura
Qualtrics is a robust, easy-to-use online survey solution, and is available at no cost to all faculty and staff at Drexel.
More about Qualtrics
Respondus creates quizzes and surveys for use in class or online Turnitin – verify assignment originality and proper citation.
More about Respondus
Turnitin is primarily used for plagiarism detection, but it has two other valuable features:
- The GradeMark feature enables instructors to electronically mark up student papers, providing rich feedback
- The PeerMark feature enables peer review of written work based on instructor-generated rubrics or questions
More about TurnItIn
Instructional Technology Center
The Instructional Technology Center (ITC) serves the professional needs of Drexel faculty, TAs, and staff with services such as Drexel Learn support and training, general assistance with Drexel software, usage of computers, scanners, printers, and audio/video capture technologies.
More about the ITC