Policy Number: HR-49
Effective Date: July 2002
Last Revision: March 2013
Responsible Officer: Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer
This policy provides guidelines for eligible Faculty and Professional Staff Members on appropriate dress for the workplace.
This policy applies to all eligible Faculty and Professional Staff Members, excluding Professional Staff Members affiliated with a collective bargaining unit.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer is the Drexel University official responsible for the administration of this policy.
The University requires employees to present a professional business image to other University faculty, employees, patients, visitors and students.
Appearance is defined as an impression or aspect of an individual’s dress, attire, or personal hygiene as determined by each department.
Department Head is defined as the highest ranking administrator in a department, center or college/school within the University (e.g., Senior Vice President, Dean, Director or department chair).
Dress is defined as apparel or clothing appropriate for the workplace as determined by each department.
Faculty Member is defined as an individual employed by Drexel University in a tenured, tenure-track, non-tenured track or adjunct position who teaches at any college, school, center or institute in the University. A Faculty Member also is deemed to be exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Supervisor is defined as any Faculty or Professional Staff Member who has the delegated authority to hire, promote, evaluate, direct, coach or mentor another person.
- During business hours, Faculty and Professional Staff Members are expected to present a clean, neat and professional appearance and to dress according to the requirements of his or her position.
- Safety and health regulations are factors to be considered when determining the appropriateness of an individual’s dress including accessories such as, but not limited to, jewelry and head coverings.
- Dress and personal appearance requirements will be consistently applied by each Faculty or Professional Staff Member’s Department Head/Immediate Supervisor.
- Violations of this policy will result in the Performance Improvement Process up to and including termination of employment.
- Faculty and Professional Staff Members must wear or carry his or her University identification badge while conducting business or visiting other work sites while working.
- The Department Head/Immediate Supervisor is responsible for the communication of the University’s Appearance Policy and departmental dress standards.
- The Department Head/Immediate Supervisor is responsible for counseling an employee about this policy and for use of the Performance Improvement Process for repeated or continuing violations up to and including termination.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.