Policy Number: HR-38
Effective Date: November 2010
Last Revision: May 2016
Responsible Officer: Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer
This policy identifies the official Winter Break period observed by Drexel University, and provides associated guidelines for Faculty and Professional Staff Members.
This policy applies to all eligible Full-time and Part-time Faculty and Professional Staff Members.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer is the Drexel University Official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Drexel University provides eligible Faculty and Professional Staff Members with paid time off during the weekdays between the Christmas and New Year's holidays.
Faculty Member is defined as an individual employed by Drexel University in a tenured, tenure-track, non-tenured track or adjunct position who teaches at any college, school, center or institute in the University. A Faculty Member also is deemed to be exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Full-time Faculty Member is defined as a full-time status which must equal a teaching load of 12 credit hours per term.
Full time Professional Staff Member is a Professional Staff Member who is regularly scheduled to work 40 hours per week.
Part time Professional Staff Member is a Professional Staff Member who is regularly scheduled to work at least 20 but fewer than 40 hours per week.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Winter Break is defined as the weekdays between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- The University observes the following days as a University-wide Winter Break for CY2016:
- Tuesday, December 27, 2016
- Wednesday, December 28, 2016
- Thursday, December 29, 2016
- Friday, December 30, 2016
- The hours of the Winter Break begin at 12:00 a.m. on the day observed and end at 11:59 p.m. that day.
- If Winter Break occurs during a Professional Staff Member’s scheduled vacation, it will be charged as Winter Break pay with the remainder of the time being charged to the vacation accrual.
- If an observed day in Winter Break falls on a Part-time Professional Staff Member’s scheduled day to work, they will be paid their regular daily rate for time not worked during the Winter Break.
- Professional Staff Members whose presence is deemed necessary by their supervisor to maintain basic operations during these days will receive equivalent time off to be taken by the end of the fiscal year, June 30. Winter Break is not subject to the same overtime conditions as observed Drexel Holidays.
- Professional Staff Members who are required to work per their supervisor will be compensated with personal time for hours worked on an hour for hour basis (maximum of 8 hours per day). A Payroll Resolution Form [PDF] must be submitted by the Faculty and Professional Staff Member’s supervisor in order to receive personal time for hours worked.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.