Policy Number: HR-30
Effective Date: November 2005
Last Revision: May 2013
Responsible Officer: Associate Dean for Administration and Chief of Staff
This policy was established to designate the official Holidays recognized by Drexel University College of Medicine.
This policy applies to all Drexel University College of Medicine Faculty and Professional Staff Members, which includes:
- Active, full-time Faculty and Professional Staff Members
- Active, full-time non-faculty Professional Staff Members are eligible for paid holidays that occur during their term of appointment
- Active University lecturer, visiting (full, associate, assistant professor), and adjunct faculty; research and instructor post-doctoral staff; academic and research fellows.
(Note: Full-time status for faculty is determined by the Provost’s Office)
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Associate Dean for Administration and Chief of Staff is the Drexel University College of Medicine official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Drexel University College of Medicine observes the following eight (8) paid Holidays and grants three (3) Floating Holidays each year. Actual dates are posted on HR’s website each year.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- The day after Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a bona fide executive, administrative or professional position that is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Act. Exempt Professional Staff Members are considered salaried and cannot be docked for anything less than a full day’s work.
Floating Holiday is a work day that a Professional Staff Member selects to receive time off with pay.
Holiday is a work day that is recognized as an official day for which Professional Staff Members receive time off with pay.
Non-exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a position that is subject to the provisions of the Act.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University College of Medicine, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
- Professional Staff Members qualify for twenty-four (24) hours of Floating Holiday Leave each fiscal year. Floating Holiday Leave hours for Part-time Professional Staff Members are pro-rated based on the number of hours per week the Professional Staff Member is regularly scheduled to work in relation to the standard 40 hour work week. For example, a Professional Staff Member who is regularly scheduled to work 20 hours per week (50% of the standard work week) will receive 50% of the full-time hours granted.
- Requests for Floating Holiday leave must be made in advance and are granted at the discretion and approval of the immediate supervisor. Floating Holiday leave hours cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year.
Note: Professional Staff Members hired during the last quarter of the current fiscal year (April 1 through June 30) do not qualify for Floating Holidays hours for the current fiscal year. At the start of the next fiscal year (July 1), they will qualify for twenty-four (24) Floating Holidays hours, which will be pro-rated for Part-time Professional Staff Members.
Hired between July 1 and September 30
3 Floating Holidays (24 hours)
Hired between October 1 and December 31
2 Floating Holidays (16 hours)
Hired between January 1 and March 31
1 Floating Holiday (8 hours)
- The hours of a Holiday begin at 12:00 a.m. on the day observed and end at 11:59 p.m. that day.
- Holidays falling on a Saturday will be observed on the previous Friday. Holidays falling on a Sunday will be observed on the following Monday.
- Absence from work in observance of any local, state, federal, or religious Holidays not listed, requires approval by the Professional Staff Member’s Department Head and will be first charged to accrued vacation without loss of pay or will be taken as time off without pay.
- Employment appointments will not become effective on Holidays.
- Professional Staff Members are paid at their regular daily rate for time not worked on the observed Holiday.
- If an observed Holiday falls on a regular part-time Professional Staff Member’s scheduled day to work, they will be paid their regular daily rate for time not worked on the observed Holiday.
- If a Professional Staff Member is scheduled to work on a Holiday and calls in sick, the Professional Staff Member must use his or her available sick time.
- If a Holiday occurs during a Professional Staff Member's scheduled vacation, it will be charged as Holiday pay with the remainder of the time being charged as vacation leave.
- Professional Staff Members in an inactive pay status are not entitled to Holiday pay.
- Non-exempt Professional Staff Members who are required to work on a Holiday recognized by Drexel University College of Medicine will be paid their normal hourly rate plus 1.5 times for all hours worked, whether or not any of the hours worked that day is in excess of the number of hours a Professional Staff Member usually works.
- Exempt Professional Staff Members who are required to work on a Holiday recognized by Drexel University College of Medicine will receive additional Floating Holiday hours at a rate of 1.5 times for all hours worked. Floating Holiday hours must be used before the end of the fiscal year in which they were earned.
- Professional Staff Members who terminate employment from Drexel University College of Medicine will not receive Holiday pay unless they work the day after the Holiday.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University College of Medicine at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.