American Cultural Connections (tm)
American Cultural Connections™ is a unique program specially designed to encourage and facilitate contact between international and American university students through a wide range of activities. Some of these are intended only for students at the ELC or participating in the International Gateway program,while others are open to all members of the Drexel community. Many of components of the program can also be found in the Student Life section of this website.
ELC Trips and Activities: Participants will have access to the trips and activities of the English Language Center, such as weekend trips to Washington D.C. and New York City, theater and museum outings in Philadelphia, and intramural sports activities, as well as many other activities and events on the Drexel campus and throughout Philadelphia.
Conversation Network: This ongoing, facilitated program links Drexel students from foreign languages, business, and international area studies with students from the English Language Center for conversation and fun.
Service learning: Access will be provided to service-learning opportunities such as volunteering at a food bank, senior center, or other community organization.
- Peer-guided course visitations: International Gateway students will be matched with Drexel students for classroom visits to learn the culture of the U.S. classroom.
- Family guest activities: International Gateway students will be paired with Drexel and other community families who wish to host international students for special occasions.
- International guest receptions: International Gateway students will be recognized and welcome guests at student receptions at Drexel and on other university campuses.
- Academic course linkages: The International Gateway curriculum includes courses with American students seeking intercultural communication experiences.
Drexel University facilities: International Gateway students will receive university ID cards and free access to all university facilities, including:
- Computer lab and wireless interneto Gym, pool, soccer field, and tennis, basketball and volleyball courts
- Student clubs and organizations
- Cafeteria, snack bars and cafés
- Shuttle service