Travel and Arrival Information
Travel Tips and Advice
Make your travel plans with your program start date in mind. You may be refused entry into the United States if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your SEVIS I-20 form.
Always Hand Carry Your Documents
Do not check the following documents in your baggage. If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will be unable to present the documents at your port of entry. As a result, you may not be able to enter the United States.
- Your passport, valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay
- Your SEVIS I-20 Form
- Your Form I-797, SEVIS Fee Receipt
- Name and contact information of your designated school official: Drexel University ELC Designated School Official: Adrienne Kekeç , Phone: 215.895.5911 or 215.895.2022
Complete Your Entry Paperwork
If you arriving by plane, your flight attendants will distribute Customs Declaration Forms (CF-6059) and Arrival Departure Record Forms (I-94). These forms must be completed before you land.
Arriving in the United States
When you arrive at the port of entry (the first city where your plane lands in the U.S.), proceed to the terminal area for arriving passengers. Have the following documents available for presentation: your passport; SEVIS Form (I-20); Arrival-Departure Record Form (I-94); and Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059). The Form I-94 should reflect the address where you will reside, not the address of the school.
All visitors entering the United States must state their reason for wishing to enter the country. It is important that you tell the CBP Officer that you will be a student. Be prepared to include the name and address of the school program where you will study: Drexel University English Language Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Arriving in Philadelphia
There are 2 kinds of transportation from Philadelphia International Airport:
Taxicab (fastest and easiest)
- When: 24 hours a day. You do not need a reservation.
- Where: Outside of the baggage claim area.
- How: Tell the driver the address you want to go to (or write the address on a piece of paper).
- Time: About 20 minutes from the airport to the Drexel University neighborhood and housing for Drexel ELC stuents.
- Cost: About $30 including tip (cash only).
Shuttle Van Service (cheapest)
When: 5:30 a.m. - 12:00 midnight. You do not need a reservation.
- Where: Go to the Ground Transportation counter in the baggage claim area.
- How: Use the phones on the counter. Dial #27 for Lady Liberty Transportation Tell them the address you are going to. Ask the people behind the counter for help if you need it. A shuttle van will arrive in about 5-10 minutes. Tell the driver the address you want to go to (or write it on a piece of paper).
Time: About 30 minutes from the airport to the Drexel University neighborhood, but you might have to wait 10-20 minutes for the van to arrive at the terminal.
Cost: About $15 (cash only). Pay the driver when you get out.