Drexel University College of Medicine
Clinical Practice Operations
Policies and Procedures
Effective Date: Number:
Approved Date: July 25, 2006 Approved By: Jeff Eberly
Revised Date: July 25, 2006
All department/practice site deposits will be handled on a daily basis either by routing to a designated drop box or University Cashier's Office, pick-up by an armored courier or managed through an on-site safe for scheduled armored courier pick-ups.
The purpose of this policy is to manage the deposit process in an efficient and secure manner. It is the responsibility of each practice site to insure that the deposit process is carried out on a daily basis.
1. The deposit process begins by gathering all payments, separating them by cash, check and credit card, conducting the appropriate End-of-Day Reconciliation procedures in the Practice Management System (IDX), and noting them on the department/site deposit slips available from the Central Billing Office. To prevent any individual employee having control over a transaction from beginning to end, assign balancing each day’s office receipts to your checkout clerk, but require a supervisor or office manager to prepare the deposit. (See “End of Day Reconciliation” Policy).
- A deposit slip should be completed for cash. A separate deposit slip should be completed for checks.
- Checks should be copied and endorsed using the department specific “for deposit only” stamp.
- A separate Credit Card Deposit Voucher should be completed for all credit card transactions for that day. Copy credit card receipts and attach to encounter forms. Also attach original credit card transaction receipts and the summary sheet to the Credit Card Voucher (available at http://www.drexel.edu/depts/compt/ccdepositvouches.pdf) and send to Drexel Finance Department, Attention: Ronnie Krvywicki, 3201 Arch Street, Suite 400, Philadelphia, PA 19104
2. If a patient pays on a previous balance by cash, check or credit card, a “Payment on Account Request Form” (Appendix I) should be filled out and sent to the CBO, along with an IDX screen print of the patient’s account. A manual receipt should be given to the patient. The cash, check or credit card payment should be included in the day’s deposit & reconciled.
3. The cash receipts and deposit slip should be placed in the bank’s cash bag.
4. All cash and checks must be kept in a secure location within the department until the deposit is made.
5. The endorsed checks and deposit slip should be placed in the bank’s check bag.
6. A designated employee will take the daily deposit to the drop box, University Cashier’s Office, or deposit via the established pick-up arrangement.
7. A courier will pick-up from the drop off sites and from off-site offices.
8. To insure the proper record keeping of your deposits, a copy of the deposit slips, Credit Card Deposit Voucher, IDX batch proof, checks and adding machine tapes must be assembled on a daily basis and filed in the department’s business office for future reference.
9. Operations Management will audit this paperwork on a regular basis to assure appropriate management of this documentation. This documentation will also be referenced to research any issues regarding deletion of transactions, patient refunds, etc.
10. For more information about the deposit process, contact the DUP Director of Operations for front end issues, or the CBO Cash Manager for back-end issues
Appendix I - Payment on Account Request Form
DREXEL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
Payments on Account
Name ____________________________________________ IDX MRN _______________
Department _______________________________________ Invoice No. ______________
Date Payment Received ____________________________
Type of payment __Cash __Check __Credit Card __Other
Check No. _______________________________
Credit Card No. ___________________________ Expiration Date __________________
Payment amount _________________________
Department Personnel Collected Payment _________________________________________