The Academy of Natural Sciences
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING A CHECK REQUEST
Use a Check Request Form only when authorizing the types of payments shown below. For all other purchases up to $2,000, use the University Purchasing Card issued to your department or Request to Purchase form for larger purchases exceeding $2,000 available at http://www.drexel.edu/procurement/request/request.html.
|WHEN TO USE A CHECK REQUEST
Use a Check Request form for the following types of payments. If you are authorizing a payment that is not included on the list, contact the Accounts Payable Analyst or Director of Procurement, as appropriate, before the purchase is made.
- Membership dues and fees
- Registration fees that are non-travel related
- Payments to independent contractors
- Interlibrary loans
- Prizes or awards
- Foreign currency transaction payments
- Wire transfer payments
- Travel reimbursements for non-employees
|PROCEDURE TO COMPLETE A CHECK REQUEST
SECTION #1: PAYEE INFORMATION
- Enter the payee name and complete mailing address exactly as it is to appear on the check. For payments to individuals, a permanent home address is required.
- Attach the original invoice or other original documentation that substantiates the payment for audit purposes.
- Employee and student payees must provide their University ID number. Do not use Social Security Numbers.
- For non-employee payees, enter a social security (SSN) or taxpayer identification number (TIN). A federal employer identification number (EIN) is required for unincorporated entities (businesses that are not incorporated). Contact the Accounts Payable Manager if you have questions about the vendor’s identification number.
- If the payee is an individual, indicate the citizenship status and whether the payee is an employee of Drexel University. Questions regarding payments to Non-resident Alien individuals should be directed to the Tax Department at email@example.com or (215) 895-6880.
- Answer all procurement card questions.
SECTION #2: JUSTIFICATION AND DELIVERY
- Enter the business reason for the expenditure, referring to the types of payments listed above.
- To facilitate timely payment, checks will be mailed directly to payees. "US Mail" is the default distribution method. A Request to Mail with Enclosures must be accompanied by the original documents to be mailed to the payee AND copies of the documents for audit purposes.
- Pick-ups are for emergencies by arrangement only.
SECTION #3: FUNDING SOURCE
- Enter valid fund/organization/account numbers having sufficient funds to cover the payment. Enter amounts to be charged to each cost center.
- Non sufficient funds situations must be resolved by the department administrator and will result in delayed payment(s).
SECTION #4: APPROVALS
- The Check Request must be signed by individuals having the appropriate level of approval authority for the Cost Center(s) and include printed name(s) and date(s).
- The preparer is required to enter her/his name, location, telephone number, and date. This information will be used to contact the preparer when questions arise.
- Failure to complete all four sections of the Check Request may result in the return of the form to the preparer and will delay payment.
- Submit original form and supporting documents to the Accounts Payable Department, 3201 Arch Street, 4th Floor. An after-hours mailbox is located in the Arch Street lobby.
- Please allow seven to ten working days for processing.