Office: 306 PSA or 202 PSA
Research Interests and Projects
- Virtual communities
- Presentation of self in social media
- Pop culture
- Human Computer Interaction
- Currently focused on interdisciplinary work with Computer Science to discover how ethnographic practices may inform machine learning features
Conferences and Posters
- Magee, R., Sebastian, M., Novak, A., Mascaro C., Black, A., & Goggins, S. (2012, October). May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor: Twitter Use in Anticipation of “The Hunger Games” Film Release. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of IR13, Media City: UK, Greater Manchester.
- Magee, R., Sebastian, M., Novak, A. N., Mascaro, C., Black, A. & Goggins, S. (2013, February). #TwitterPlay: A Case Study of Fan Roleplaying Online. Presented at the 16th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW), San Antonio, TX.
- Sebastian, Melinda. (2013, March) Conservatorships, Mental Illness, and Pop Stardom: A Framing Analysis of Media Headlines on Britney Spears. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of PCA/ACA National Conference, Mental Health & Mental Illness in Popular Culture, Washington, D.C.
- Sebastian, Melinda, & Bishop, R. (2012, April) My Backpages: The Meaning Men Derive From Women’s Magazines. Paper presented at the annual meeting of PCA/ACA National Conference, Gender & Media Studies, Boston, Mass.
- Sebastian, M., Magee, R., Novak, A., Mascaro, C., Black, A., & Goggins, S. (2012, April). Twitter Zombie in Action: Tweeting the Dystopian Discourse of “The Hunger Games”. Poster session presented at Drexel University’s Research Day, Philadelphia, PA.
- Sebastian, M., & Rode. J. A. (2011, October). Concerns for Public Ethnography. Presented at the annual meeting of IR12, Words and Methods, Seattle, WA.
Workshop & Archival Papers
- Rode, J., Magee, R., Sebastian, M., Black, A., Yudell, R., Gibran Hasan, A., McDonald, N., $ Zimmerman, J. (2012). Rethinking the Smart Closet as an Opportunity to Enhance the Social Currency of Clothing. Proceedings of UbiComp 2012, September 5-8, 2012, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Rode, J.A., Magee, R.M., & Sebastian M. (2011). Gendering Infrastructure. Workshop Paper presented at the annual meeting of CHI 2011, ACM, Gender Workshop, Vancouver, Canada.
- Rode, J.A., Sebastian, M., & Magee R. M. (2011). Concerns for Public Ethnography. Workshop paper presented at the annual meeting of CHI 2011, ACM, Ethics, Logs, and Videotape Workshop, Vancouver, Canada.
- Sebastian, M., & Magee R.M. (2012, May). Recommender Systems, Creativity, and Performativity. Workshop paper presented at the annual meeting of CHI 2012, Identity, Performativity, and HC Workshop, Austin, Texas.