Emilie Passow, PhD
Director, Certificate Program in Medical Humanities; Associate Teaching Professor of English and Judaic Studies
Office: 5038 MacAlister Hall
- BA, English Literature, 1969
- MA, English Literature, 1973
- PhD, English Literature, 1979
I lecture frequently at professional conferences, Medical Grand Rounds and public events on Medical Humanities, Biblical Narrative, American Jewish Writers, and topics related to the Holocaust. Currently I am at work on two articles about Biblical texts and in developing additional courses for the Certificate Program in Medical Humanities.
- Sheryl Bowen, PhD; Emilie S. Passow, PhD; Juliet Spitzer,” Survivors Sometimes Tell Their Stories: Motives for Sharing and Motives for Silence” InTranscending Trauma: Exploring Psychological Mechanisms of Survival, eds, Bea Hollander-Goldfein, PhD, Nancy Isserman, PhD, and Jennifer Goldenberg, PhD. Publication pending with Routledge Press, 2010.
- Beatrice Hollander-Goldfein, PhD; Hannah Kliger, PhD; Emilie S. Passow, PhD,"Holocaust Narratives and their Impact: in ed. Simon J. Bronner, Jewishness: Expression, Identity and Representation.” Jewish Cultural Studies , Volume 1. The Littman Library of Jewish Civilization. Oxford. 2008.
- “The Hermeneutics of the Hamantash” in The Great Debate: Latke or Hamentash.ed. Ruth Cernea. University of Chicago Press. Fall, 2005.
- “A Time to Remember: A Memorial in the Anatomy Lab.” Jeffline Forum. Fall, 2004.
- Medical Humanities: A Welcome Reunion” Jeffline Forum. Spring, 2004.
- Terri Maxwell; Emilie S. Passow, PhD; Randa Sifre, MD; James Plumb; MD, “Experiences at Hospice: Self Reflections by Third Year Medical Students.” Journal of Palliative Care. May, 2002.
- "The Dynamics of Conviction: A Meditation on the Binding of Isaac" The Jewish Exponent. September 28, 1997, p. 10.
- Emilie S. Passow, PhD “Hypothetical Narratives in Agility” in Steven L. Goldman, PhD, ed.” Environmental Enhancement" in Agile Manufacturing Enterprise Forum, A Compilation of Work in Progress: Focus Group Reports. Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Lehigh University Press, 1992. 1-44.
- "Koyaanisquatsi: A Film Review." Science, Technology,& Society. September,1985:15-6.
- "Reflections on a Gathering," Midstream, April, l985: 41-48.