We encourage all students to view the attached PowerPoint materials for complete information on how to plan a successful event and become an effective and visable student organization on campus.
Planning a Successful Event at Drexel University (PowerPoint Video with Audio - 7min. 32sec - You can also navigate through this at your own speed -- this will take about 25 seconds to download)
Planning a Successful Event at Drexel University (PowerPoint only)
In addition, listed below are a variety of great questions to ask ... to organize a successful event.
When you first have an idea about an event...
- Some examples of events that have been held in the past are dances, fund raisers, art exhibits, poetry readings, talent shows, charity auctions, food fairs, movies, carnivals, cultural fairs, theater productions, theme weeks, and fun runs.
- What kind of event is it?
- What are the goals for your event?
- How will your event benefit Drexel University students?
- Will your event be open to the general public?
- Is your event a duplication of another event? Has it been done in the past? What were its strength and weaknesses?
- Could the event possibly incur liability? What are the risks involved? Is it dangerous?
- Set a date and time for your event. Does it conflict with any other campus event (midterms, finals, other major student organization event, or a holiday)? If so, how will you resolve the conflict?
- Have you reserved a facility or venue to hold your event? If not, contact Event Services by clicking here
- Are you aware of the policies regarding the use of campus facilities? View Campus Facility Policies here
- Will the event location attract or inhibit student attendance?
- What is the estimated attendance?
- Will you be selling tickets for your event?
- Will you need security to staff your event? Public Safety Policies here
- Will you be having food at your event? Food Policies here
- Will you be requiring the services of an outside the University performer, caterer, band, speaker, dance troupe, etc? (If YES, follow this link for more information.)
- What are your sound requirements? You can request DUST here
- How are you advertising?
- Do you have enough members and volunteers to help set up, run the event, and clean up afterward?
- Have you developed a budget for the event?
- Will your event be co-sponsored by another student organization or University department?
- Will your organization be donating any proceeds to charity?
Consider the following when planning event:
When you start to plan your event...
When all else fails, do you have a back up plan?
For help with all these event planning questions, contact a member of the Office of Campus Activities staff at 215-895-1328 or stop by our office.